1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow- tune up

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rush, Nov 6, 2006.

1. rush

rush Member

western uni-mount 7'6"

I bought this plow used it seems to work fine, but was told it hasnt been serviced in a couple years. The snow plow shop near me said for $140 they will go over everything and change the fluid. Should i pay them to do the inspection/tune-up or can i do it myself and whats all involved?
  2. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

i would just empty the fluid and put new in and maybe put new bulbs in....thats all i do...
  3. rush

rush Member

Ok..can someone point me to instructions on how to change the oil..is there a filter?
    Also, one other thing thing i noticed on my plow.. the pump wiggles back-n-forth just a little bit, Is it suppose to be tight or have a little play on the mount?

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

put some grease on the connections
  5. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

Rush....If you are mechanically inclined...they are simple to figure out ( if you know hydraulics) otherwise let the pros do it. When servicing a pump, you change the fluid, clean & change filters and also seals that dryout over time. Clean all the electrical connections and secure them. Lubricate all moving parts with the "proper" lubricant.
  6. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

what does proper lube consist of?
  7. ohioplowboy

ohioplowboy Junior Member

8. rush

rush Member

Just what i was looking for..Thanks!
  9. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

If it still matters, I let my local dealer do a "rebuild" on my pump and it was well worth the money. I think he was about $150 or so. That's because I wasn't interested in pulling my pump apart and possibly losing a part or breaking something or putting it back together wrong.

So, for me, it was money well spent. Plus, when something does go bad while plowing, these guys will know I'm a returning customer and hopefully get me in and out (if they're not too busy!!)

Take care!!