1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow trucks

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ericash25, Oct 26, 2015.

1. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

I am only 15 years old and am almost ready to get my Pennsylvania drivers permit. I am looking to get a truck for multiple reasons including plowing. I never thought about doing commercial plowing but looking at other forums I have been seeing people having hard times plowing with crew cabs or long bed which I wanted to get a Ford F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed. I want a long bed because I like the space but my friends fathers that plow say that it will be too long for residential. I just wanted to ask for advice if I should do commercial or residential, I will get a short bed if its better and I do not need anything bigger than a 2500 series. Also, I have a cycle county plow on my 1999 Yamaha Grizzly 600 and it is in really nice condition and I was thinking about selling it for money for the truck but does anyone have any suggestions about that? Thank you.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You need to be older to plow commercially, or to obtain the proper insurance yourself.

Crew cab long bed, to long to negotiate tight turns with a plow.

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

At 15, I love your ambition, but plowing isn't something to get into right now. Too much money. This is a business, I know it looks like all these guys making a killing doing something "easy," it isn't. At your age, save the money and buy a half ton. I have a dodge 1500 extended cab long bed, plenty of room. If you want to do snow for neighbors get a snowblower and a shovel. In the winter this is how I make my money (a little larger scale, but basically the same), and I have no plow.

How are you going to pay for an overpriced 3/4 ton truck and a plow? Not to mention i dont think your insurance will allow a 15/16 year old to drive around with a plow hanging from their truck. Not a good idea right now, sorry. Build customer trust with your snowblower and when you turn 18 and have all the legal issues solved, if you still want to do it, get your F250.

Also a side note. I have seen long trucks doing residential, but it seems to take longer than the shorter trucks. Jeeps seem to do well also.

Edit: Sorry I somehow missed the last little bit about your Yamaha. Use that in the neighborhood, or still sell it to help pay for the truck and get a blower like I originally posted. Good luck.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  4. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I would lean towards the short-bed

At 15 you sound like you have a good head on your shoulders and not afraid to work...

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Never did dig the long beds, the perfect sized truck is a CCSB except for driveways.

Buy a Jeep for drives, grow ur business and then buy a 250 and keep the Short wheelbase for drives.

6. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with the others on here, wait a few years to begin plowing, but if you really want to start in the industry, getting a 1500, a snowblower and doing some driveways around town is a great idea.

Being under 25 or whatever the cut off is, your insurance is going to be through the roof. I sold my truck a year ago and picked up a used car and am paying $2000 per year (since I have payments its a little higher), if I had bought a truck with zero payments, without a plow, and with minimum insurance just to be able to drive it, it was $4000! Im 21, and even my insurance agent said its not fair what the companies do to kids our ages.

The best thing you could do would be to start working for a larger company, although due to age and OSHA you probably can't work overnight, not always the best in the snow industry, but its a great way to learn the ropes, pricing, and about all the equipment.

Good luck man!

7. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Nobody will insure you for commercial work until at least 21, and probably 25.

8. jhall22guitar

I believe you can get commercial insurance at 18, since that is the legal age that you can give consent and sign a legally binding document, but the rates would still kill you.

9. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

You may be right, but I'm sure it all depends on what carrier you are using. Each underwriter and agency can set their own age limitations. I know mine wouldn't insure anybody under 21 to drive my truck when plowing. And as you stated, even if they did "allow you" to get a policy at 18 the rates would be unbearable.

10. JMHConstruction

I agree, but no company in their right mind would hire a 15 year old, even 16, to run heavy equipment, including a plow truck.

OP keep your head right where it's at, take it slow, and get everything in place and start saving money to run a business once everything is legal. It may seem like a long time, but 18 is only a few years away. For now, keep all your equipment small.

11. jhall22guitar

I should have clarified, I didn't mean to run equipment, even starting as a shoveler is a good start to begin learning.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

He now knows his right from his left. He's 5 years older now.

https://youtu.be/82fVE8WJ3tw

13. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Insurance will probably be an issue..many people your age can't handle what your wanting tondo but there is always an exception. I started my own business at 14. By 16 I had a 7 year old f350 and a brand new 40hp tractor and was doing commercial mowing. I found an insurance company that would cover me. It always possible. For the people saying that you should start out with a blower I don't know.. I love doing snow and this is my 6th season doing commercial snow removal but if I had to start with a blower I would have never got into it.
    If your willing to work hard you can succeed. Good luck.

14. JMHConstruction

How old are you now? Times must be different. I'm 25 now, started business at 19. It took me 3 weeks and 8 different insurance companies to finally get someone to cover me. If the kid wants to spend tens of thousands on a truck, thousands on a plow, thousands on insurance, maintenance, etc be my guest. I just think at his age, with his schedule, it's not worth the investment.

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am 29.. I am not saying it is worth the investment. Most people under 18, hell a lot of people no matter the age can't handle being self employed. To some though it can be a very good investment. Once and a while I wonder what it would be like if I didn't start my business so young and continued with college, but I would never change the path I chose. It was really stressful working 30-40 hours a week while in highschool (could explain my poor writing skills) and 40-50 hours while in college but at 19 I grossed over 75k and made the decision to stop going to school but have never stopped learning. Not saying it is the right decision for him, but it was for me.

16. JMHConstruction

Sounds like you definitely made the right decision.Thumbs Up I hate it sometimes, but love knowing if I work hard I'll be rewarded. Sorry if I sounded hateful earlier, I've had a... few ...beers
    :drinkup:and my Royals were losing.

17. Lacymanagement

Lacymanagement Junior Member

You can easily get commercial insurance at 18. I first got commercial insurance at 19 in NJ, commercial on my truck, general liability, even workmans comp a year later. My commercial insurance was actually cheaper then my personally policy. I dont think 15 is too young but i would work for someone else in their truck and then when you buy a truck get subbed out for a year or two

18. JMHConstruction

Maybe I am the crazy one? Yes, I think the kid should get out and enjoy making a little cash doing drives, but quit telling this guy to spend 10s of thousands on something he won't be able to use for at least 3 years. No company is going to hire a kid that just got his license! Even as a sub, unless you work for some under the table guy, you will never find a legitimate company that will work with you.

Sorry man, I hate being the big bad guy here, I just don't want to see you spend your hard earned money on something you can't use because of liability. I love your business attitude, but some things just have to wait. Shovel or blow the snow from your friends and neighbors, make a little cash and save your money. Once you hit 18 and can get some insurance and legally sign contracts, go ahead and get your plow, and go balls to the wall.

19. ericash25

ericash25 Junior Member

Just to clarify I would not be starting up my own commercial business at first just doing drives with the trucks and I am going to be getting an 2500 series truck anyways not just for plowing. I am doing this winter with my ATV plow because I do not get my permit till March. Any suggestions on prices per driveway? My two friends and I are trying to go to a lot of neighbors that are down the road. Thanks

20. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

So doing what we do, just not legally Thumbs Up