1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow trucks- how new is new?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rat_Power_78, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Rat_Power_78

Rat_Power_78 Senior Member

As the title says, how new would a truck need to be to be considered newer when it comes to plow trucks? Less than two years? Five? Ten?

Also, if you are running a newer truck, how often do you upgrade?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

upkeep is more important then age

3. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Absolute fact!

4. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

All depends on some factors, mainly finances first. Preventative maintenance like stated above is a very important issue. I never buy a truck that has had a plow. And I have gone south for the last few I have purchased. :nod:

5. scottr

scottr Senior Member

All in your perspective :D OLD

IMG_0494.jpg

6. scottr

scottr Senior Member

For me, 1993 is NEW :D And I'd put it up against any 2016 truck out there for working and longevity. Thumbs Up

IMG_9341.jpg

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I saw your build. I think the OP is more asking about buying something off the lot.

8. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

My plow truck is a 99 Chevy pickup truck with only 150,000 miles on it. I will it out about twice a year it's always nice and shiny. A lot of people think its a newer truck and when I tell them its a 99 their jaw drops down

9. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

If it's newer then what you have now. Duh lol

10. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Does it have that new truck smell?

11. scottr

scottr Senior Member

Yea, your right, .......we haven't seen any snow up here in weeks, I'm getting itchy.:cool:

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Can't tell a client you have new or late model equipment if it is more than 3 seasons old is what I would say..

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Their are two trucks on PS I love, you have one and Mark13 has the other.

And yea, this season sucks azz's

14. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

I have an 08 superduty with 99k, and a 06 with 155k. Both with western mvp plus plows. With the shape they're in and the upkeep I do, I consider them newer equipment. I just liquidated my 01 last summer, at 306k one cylinder finally went. In 5 years that truck only missed 1 storm, due to broken leaf Springs (my fault). All have 5.4L gas.

15. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

For sure, A rust free truck is the best. Rusted out frames and body's are tuff to fix and generally junk. Rust free truck with mechanical issues I would rather deal with than rust and rot.

My clients don't care what year my trucks are. Your performance is what counts.

16. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

For me, and I know a lot of guys will disagree, I usually don't keep a truck for more than five years. My truck however is not just a plow truck. I am a contractor so my trucks get worked hard every day of the week. If I'm not plowing then I'm pulling my tool trailer, flatbed with lumber package on it, etc. I live out of my truck five days a week. I average 22,000 miles a year. It is my office, and I expect it to make me money. I can't be down for even a day without screwing up my entire schedule. Not to mention that I'm not as young as I used to be and have had a lot of injuries over the years so comfort is important to me. I look at it as a cost of doing business and my prices reflect the fact that I have new equipment that will get me to my worksite on time every time. Where I am at I have had many customers tell me that I got the contract based on the fact that I have a new truck that is kept clean. They state that it puts them at ease knowing that I have enough business to pay for a truck like mine so I must do very good work and won't cheat them out of anything. It happens a LOT. Just my opinion though.

17. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

You must be referring to his old Chevy. You can't possibly be referring to that lumber wagon he drives now!?! :laughing:

18. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

are you confident in your truck's performance and ability? that's the question to ask. it doesn't matter how old it is. i'll take a well maintained 20 year old truck over a 2 year old beat to hell model.

if you have to sell your services based the age of your equipment then you're doing something wrong. all my plow work comes from word of mouth and I turn down more than I take on. I rarely ever give any estimates in my truck as I prefer to drive my car. never once has a customer or potential customer asked me about my equipment. they contacted me because they've heard from others that I am reliable and do good work. that's what they care about - not what year my truck is.....

19. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Says the guy that had a headlight issue for a season or two.....:rolleyes:

My '97 F-350 has 68k on it, no rust, no body damage, and no reliability issues. I went from a Meyer straight blade to a Boss DXT 3 yrs ago and is efficient as any newer pickup.

20. ktfbgb

ktfbgb Senior Member

Linckeil. Like I said in my part of the country it does matter. At least according to my customers. Usually it's the ones that have a three million dollar 3rd home that I'm working on. I don't do any advertising besides my website. 90% of my business is referral driven the other 10% is from my website. I'm not doing anything wrong as I have more work than I can handle and turn down a lot of jobs as well even though I charge more than most contractors here. I'm just working with a very high end client most of the time and they tell me that if someone pulls up in a beat up old vehicle that they have already lost the job and they don't even know it. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just stating the opinions of my clients.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016