1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Trucks as Daily Driver??

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by polarplowing, Feb 6, 2006.

1. polarplowing

polarplowing Member

Just wondering who, if anyone, uses their daily driver as their plow truck, whether it be a primary plow truck or just one of the fleet.
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I do.

It's a newer truck, so I don't have much/any downtime.

I work a full time job aside from plowing, I only sub. I take the plow off when it's not snowing and don't run into problems. Personally I couldn't justify the cost of a truck, just for plowing.

It's my primary tow rig, daily driver, plow rig, office and sometimes hotel room :p
  3. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Both of my plow vehicles are "daily drivers" I drive the F-150 and my brother drives the Cherokee for the most part. The F-150 is the main plow truck, my brother uses the Jeep for his own drives.

No problem driving them everyday, the plows come off the second iam done with them and dont go on until just before snow starts falling. With a daily driver, you want to have the plow on as little as possible. You dont need the extra stress, decreased fuel mileage, and bigger size especially if you drive in more populated areas. Its just another thing to go wrong, someone could hit the plow and damage it or worse send me out of control, etc. I trust myself with the plow but its just another thing to go wrong when its on.
  4. mmwb

mmwb Senior Member
    from wyoming

Same as crazymike. I do three commercial lots and the odd driveway. Plow's off unless I plan on pushing within a few hours. In the summer I haul my firewood.
  5. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

that said. I was up north this winter. long story short, I got stuck on a blind hill, solid ice (couldn't walk on it) in the pitch dark, middle of nowhere.

I had strobes on, fourways, etc... Finally got enough sand on the road to drive off the hill. Somebody came flying over top of the hill, panic'd and slid into my plow head on. The plow tripped a little, and then angled and stopped him slowly. Only a tiny little dent on my truck. (his bumper was a different story)

The blow saved me quite a bit in damage ; )
  6. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

I drive my 84 f250 every day.the plow only goes on when it snows which lately has not happend much.
  7. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

My Jeep is my daily driver also.
  8. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

i just leave my plow on all winter on my 96 chev,, it sits in the garage ready to go,, i do have to flip flop it with my everyday truck {tundra} when ever i need it,, ill unhook it this summer but still wont drive that truck only for heavy haulilng,
  9. GL&M

GL&M Senior Member
    from PA

Run mine every day as a daily driver and trailer puller in the spring and summer.
  10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For you guys saying you use your plow truck as a daily driver - just be aware that if you claim the truck as an expense on your taxes, you can only claim a portion. You will need to keep good records showing how many miles were driven for plowing and apply that percentage to all expenses.
  11. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

I have dedicated Work/Plow trucks, that rarley move in the winter unless they are plowing. When I eventually get a plow for my 05' 2500hd, I will still be driving it everyday. Persoanlly Im not crazy about driving the main plow truck everyday, for personal use, plowing is hard enough on a truck.
  12. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

My Ram is a daily driver- It was bought as such and the plowing was secondary. It was supposed to be the backup plow for the Chevy, until I saw how nice it plowed.....

As long as you remember it's a work truck and have ALL maintenance done and repairs done in septembet at the latest there is no reason a daily driver can't be your main plow truck.
  13. THE BOSS 1975

THE BOSS 1975 Senior Member

All of trucks are daily drivers too .A truck that sits for a long period of time will break the next time you use it .thats the way it seems anyway to me !
    :gunsfiring: broken trucks
  14. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

i dirve the 03 everyday and my brother drives the 98 but the 91 pretty much sits all the time unless needed
  15. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

I also use my plow truck as my daily driver.
    This way I can take care of maintenance asap.
  16. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

I just take my plow off. But a couple of my buddies that work for a huge company get to drive there duallies home and get tons of free gas.:blush2:
  17. Richard Slayton

Richard Slayton Junior Member

The Way It Looks Mist Of Us Use Them As Our Every Day Drivers
  18. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Nine is a daily driver. Plow goes on beofre it snows and comes off when it is done. I drive about 50 miles round trip per day all highway, so when I have the plow it is all back roads and takes me three times as long. Other than that can't complain. Eventually I would like to get a nice newer truck and just use it for a daily drive and get a real beater for plowing, but it just doesn't make sense to me right now. I am happy with what I got and the insurance is the killer for me!
  19. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

My new 06' F350 is my daily driver. Blizzard is only on if there 2" on the ground. My F450 Dump sits until its salting or plowing.

20. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

My F-250 is my daily driver.....I have 2 full time and 1 part time job so time gets a little tight when it snows!:dizzy: payup