1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Truck??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Rock, Sep 4, 2002.

1. The Rock

The Rock Junior Member
    from maine

What do you prefer for a plow truck? Auto?Standard? Looking to purchase a new truck for commerical use and would like your input.:drinkup:

2. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

Automatic wins, hands down! More productive and way less fatiguing to operate for long hours. If you were doing roads or lots which had very long pushes a manual might be fine, but in a lot of shuck and jive work the automatic gets the nod from me.

3. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im no expert snowplower, but i prefer an automatic transmission. Just makes it one less thing to have to do when plowing. I have used a stick shift truck for plowing too and it was just a little more work, trying to shift, do the clutch, brake, gas pedal, raise, lower and angle plow all at same time with only 2 feet and 2 hands. Im not saying its impossible, alot of guys do it, just my preference. Now the other thing is this, plowing with an auto, the tranny is taking alot of abuse and when it comes time for fixing, youll need a whole new tranny/converter rebuild. With a stick shift truck, the clutch is taking the abuse and when it comes time for fixing, you put in a new clutch for way cheaper than how much an auto tranny would have costed and your back in business. Just my thoughts. I still prefer an auto even if in the long run its more money to fix than a clutch job on a stick shift truck. Mike :waving:
    EDIT: Alan was posting same time as me and just wanted to add i agree fully with what Alan said, Auto gets the nod.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2002
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

automatic - no question. Just make sure you come to a complete stop before shifting. The cost of the transmission over the clutch is still cheaper that orthoscopic surgery.:drinkup:

5. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Auto for me.... (Just keep plenty of cooling on it.... or you can replace it!)

6. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Automatic or stick?

STICK for me ! I prefer the control, the ground speed control at idle by choosing gears is much better, and I can choose a shift point rather than the transmission, based on engine rpms, load, engine vacuum, or my timing going up or down a steep grade.

Humans are still smarter than a c6, AOD, GM 350, GM 400, or GM 700, or that lady Mrs. Allison 545.

7. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

My vote is auto stick is good for long roads but not for small lots or doing intersections you would be on and off the clutch too much.

8. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

My first plowing experience was in a 1984 F-150 4X4 stick shift. That was during the blizzard we had in 1996. I don't ever want to plow in a manual shift again. I was working for a friend and we were doing all residential work, and in addition to learning how to operate the plow, I had to shift, etc. What a way to learn how to plow! Now, it is all automatics for me. But it really depends on the type of plowing you do. Good luck and welcome. Mike

9. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Automatic

10. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

11. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

Automatic, but not for the reason above! Most standard trannys have a reverse that is the same ratio as bold low, or lower then 1st,where most automatic have a higher reverse ratio then #1, so they back up faster, any as most of my plowing is commercial lots that translates into $$$! Make sure the truck you get has a trailer towing pkg if its automatic, that usually gives you heavy duty engine cooling, and a tranny cooler, a must have for plowing.

Bill

12. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

Auto, for all the reasons everybody said above.

But...I plowed for a few years with a 4-speed and what I did was to make a mount for the plow controls that was attached right to the shifter. I could hold the shifter in my palm and move the controls with my thumb. Never had to take my right hand off the gearshift (until my power steering blew a seal...) :(

13. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Auto for me, its just easier

14. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Auto for me too. Just make sure you get the trans flushed and fluid changed in the spring. Forget what the service intervals in the owner's manual say. (Who goes 7,000 miles before they change their engine oil?)

It's cheap insurance, along with an aux. trans cooler.

~Chuck

15. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Started many years ago in a 1968 Scout with manual tranny and manual angle Fisher, next truck was a 1970 F-100 with standard tranny and power angle Fisher and I thought I was in heaven then. All the trucks since have all been Automatics and my left knee has been thanking me ever since! :D

16. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Funny you should mention the left knee thing. Plowing is one of the only times I drive an automatic with two feet. I don't know exactly why, I just do......

I compare plowing to being a drummer in a heavy metal band, legs arms and feet all going at the same time... :cool:

~Chuck

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

so you get that num leg syndrum from plowing for hours on end

18. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Automatic for me:nod:

19. Kurt B.

Kurt B. Junior Member

Only automatic for me - After years of sore knee syndrom from long hours plowing along with the hassle of having something else to contend with while plowing made me an auto man years ago.

20. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

I have one truck that is auto and one that is stick. Like everyone else said, each has its advantages. My one ton dump is stick and I have the plow controls on the gear shift as well. My auto truck has controls to the left of the steering wheel.

dsc_011.jpg