1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joel B., Jun 6, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

What would you prefer for plowing, a '95 Tahoe (paid for) or a 2000 Chevrolet 1/2 ton extended cab pick-up that would need to be purchased? It would be nicer to haul a snowblower, gas, shovels etc. in the pick-up. We are looking for a new vehicle anyway and the pick-up would work for us, plus I'm hoping to fit my lawn tractor and supplies it in so I wouldn't need to purchase a trailer for the lawn mowing part of the business. I'm not so sure I want to use the "family" vehicle (Tahoe) for my "work" truck.

Thanks to all for any advice, this site is really a great source of information,

Joel B.

2. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I dont know about using a 1500 for a business. I own one it might work ok for a couple drives but to use it like that the truck isnt heavy enough at least in my opinion, I dont think I would ever plow with mine its not a serious enough truck. If you are going to try and establish a serious business i think you will outgrow the 1500 too quick. Now I know all the other 1500 owners will come on and tell you theyve had a plow on it for this many years and this many miles... but its not the right truck for the job. If I were you I would go for an older truck 94 95 something like that but a 2500 3500, or a 250 350. I dont know what your trying to start but from your other thread it sounds like you want to use this as your lively hood. I would go bigger and if price is a concern go older. Just my opinion.
    Eric

3. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

I wouldnt even think about using the tahoe for landscaping I mean only if your going to tow a small trailer and plow a couple drives but even then throwing stuff in the back will destroy the interior. Just my opinion. Good luck whatever you decide.
    Eric

Last edited: Jun 6, 2002
  4. Joel B.

Joel B. Senior Member
    from MN

The business wouldn't be our main source of income. My wife works and makes good money. I have always wanted to try the "lawn and snow" home business and since I have been laid off for over a year now with no serious prospects, I thought this might be a good time. I just want to start small with a few accounts and see where it goes.

Thanks for the reply,

Joel

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I'd opt for a pickup, especially if you want to keep the Tahoe in decent shape at all. No matter how careful you are, you're likely to end up with some bumps and bruises on the truck from plowing, and you'll track dirt and grass in from the lawncare side of things.

The 1/2 ton vs. bigger pickups question has been raised here before. Some guys will swear a 1/2 ton is plenty for the job, I'm with 90Plow, I won't buy anything less than a one ton pickup, a single rear wheel version. Try a search on the subject for some other opinions.

6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I agree with them on 3/4 or 1 ton p/u 1/2 is ok for your on drive but your better off with the trucks that are really made to handle the plows with beefer front ends. And if you get one just get a regular one the extend a cab with an 8' bed is to long for drives unless you use it for more commercial jobs.