1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow truck??

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mercmn91, Dec 21, 2010.

1. mercmn91

mercmn91 Junior Member

I have a 2004 Chev 2500 HD Crew cab that I want to put my 06 blizzard 8' straight blade on. Is there anything special that I would need to do to the truck prior to putting the plow on?? I am taking it off of a 91 Chev 3/4 ton that lost the 4 wheel drive in. I know I have to get a new plow mount but what kind of set up would need to be done to the truck??

2. stacks04

stacks04 Senior Member
    from ct

It depends if the truck has the plow prep package. If not I would definately run a bigger trans cooler. Lift the front end a bit with the torsion keys and put the plow on. I ran a half ton with 7.5 fisher for years and also ran the same blade on my 93 k blazer 2dr.

3. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

As you know plow prep on the truck would be nice...if not a trans cooler would help with a bigger alternator. GM has crappy ground clearance, so, if you can afford it, get 265's instead of 245 tires(you gain an inch there). Then crank up the T-bars and not all the way, it's completely unnecessary. After that get your ABS re-calibrated. Takes 5 minutes for GM to do it. Wheel alignment may or may not be needed at this point. Finally, install Timbrens load helpers. About $150 and takes no time at all and get ballast weight in the bed. After all that the truck will be ready to roll....Good Luck!

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

the old plow truck that lost 4x4 . did you test to find out what part went out ?

the 88-up ifs trucks have the thermal unit on the front diff that goes bad. donst let the 4x4 work as the diff is dis engaged . easy fix.

hate to see you spend hrs and hundreds on swapin if its a easy fix.

5. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Hay marcmn91, Nice to see a home town guy on here, sweetk30 is right check the front diff, mine stopped working and it turned out to be a wet connection

6. mercmn91

mercmn91 Junior Member

I think it is a little more than a connection. I was pushing some of the first slop we got and heard some grinding coming from the left front, figured a rock got lodged in the brake caliper again... not the case. I backed up about 20 feet, heard something break, and that was it for the four wheel drive. Probably and axle bearing or something down there. I have put enough money into this truck and would like the confidence of having something start and run properly when needed. I do plan on setting this truck up properly as this is also my daily driver to and from work. Thanks for the info.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

o.k. then. if swapin plow over will need new truck side mount as diffrent frame rails. and wiring harrness prob diffrent.

8. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Yes thats something more then a wet connection, more like a axle or something in the diff, time to break out the tools and the wallet,good luck.