1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow truck wont start

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by soldier2184, Nov 4, 2010.

1. soldier2184

soldier2184 Junior Member

hey can anyone help me here i have a 96 dodge ram 3500 with a 5.9 diesel motor i drove te truck to lowes yesterday and the amp meter sky rocketed in voltage then when i came out the truck wouldnt start on first crank so i tried again it started drove home and then i tried to start it later on that night and it wldnt start wont even make a sound i had just replaced the alternator not even 6 months ago along with the starter i charged the batteries over night because they were low when i checked the guage on the charger now truck still wont start any ideas

2. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

will it crank at all?

3. soldier2184

soldier2184 Junior Member

it trys to when u trun key it will make a breif sound of trying to crank but its like theres not enough power to cramk it all the way

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

the batteries could be shot. check and clean all your grounds and terminals good and make sure everything is tight. sometimes a loose ground is all it takes.

5. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

charge and load test the batteries and check all connections from the batt's to the starter to all relays and so on

6. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

if it just goes CLICK, bad connection. if it turns over for a second and the the whole truck is dead, like nothing works dead, something is killing the batterys.

turn on the lights, wipers and high fan. then check for loose connections. when you find it you will know.