1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck tires....

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TLS, Sep 10, 2014.

1. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

My Cooper Discoverer's are shot. They got a lot of use last winter and I drove on them all summer. They're ready for replacement.

What is the "GO-TO" tire that guys are using these days?

Would likely be in the LT 265/75-16 size. Load range E as I'm usually over-weight with salt/spreader/plow/blower.
  2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Bfg all terrains.
  3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks, but there is no siping on those. Used them 20 years ago before I figured out what type of tire you need for snow/ice traction.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This is what I'm running currently, but was wondering whats newer/better from 10 years ago.

5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

You ask ten guys that question on here and you get ten different tires. I use cepek fc-ll, and dueler at revo 2. With your weight your running you'd think almost any decent tire would be ok.
  6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The tread compound and siping make a HUGE difference though. All Terrain and Mud Terrain type tires are horrible in snow though, so not ANY tire will be OK for me.
  7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I heard good things about the coopers.
    Thought about giving them a try in the future sometime.
  8. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The Winterforce LT is Firestone's Light Truck/SUV Studdable Winter / Snow tire designed for the owners of medium- and heavy-duty commercial vans, SUVs and pickup trucks. Available in Load Range E (10-Ply Rated) sizes, Winterforce LT tires are for drivers looking for traditional wintertime traction on dry, wet and snow-covered roads.

Firestone Winterforce LT winter / snow radials feature a winter tread compound molded into an aggressive directional tread pattern with tread blocks that are siped and can be studded to offer the biting edges necessary to provide traction in snow and on ice. Independent tread blocks feature high-density siping to enhance grip in loose snow while the intermediate and shoulder tread blocks are molded to accept studs that further enhance traction on hard-packed snow and ice. The tire's internal structure includes twin steel belts on top of a polyester casing to combine strength with ride quality.

Winterforce LT winter / snow tires meet the industry's severe snow service requirements and are branded with the snowflake-on-the-mountain symbol.
  9. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

Goodyear duratracs here and love them.
  10. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

X2. I got them last year after always using all terrains. Absolutely no comparison. I loved these tires last year.
  11. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

Used them all winter and they show surprisingly little wear
  12. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I'm currently running Bridgestone Blizzak WS965 tires for my snow work and they work very well. However, my Michelin LTX MS2 tires work great too.
  13. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I heard the Blizzaks are good also but a softer tire, so it grips better in the snow but they wear out faster on dry pavement
  14. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the discoverer's you are running now is the best snow tire i've ever used in my 20 years of plowing residential. but you are right, they wear quick in the dry months - which is why i run a dedicated set just in the winter. i also have them studded, so that certainly makes a difference.

people see the aggressive tread of a mud tire or an all terrian tire and assume it'll be great in the snow. all terrian is for "all types of terrian" - its a good all around compromise. Mud terrian is designed for "mud". the picture of the cooper you posted shows exactly what i look for in a great snow tire - big blocks, siping, and studdable. unfortunately any good snow tire will be a softer compound which is gonna wear fast on dry roads - thats just the way it is - maybe things will be different in the future as technology improves.

last thing i want to say should really be the first consideration even before you select a tire - and thats tire size. its a fact that a narrow tire is better in the snow. but people love their fat tires and fool themselves into thinking their all season 315 tire with fancy "rockstar" rims are awesome in the snow. if these people gave a narrow snow tire a shot one winter, they would be amazed at how much better their truck performs in the snow. for a 3/4 or 1 ton truck i run a 235 tire. i would go up to a 245 if i had to, but that would be the maximum width for me.

so to sum it all up - get a second set of rims (cheapie steels are just fine) and buy a new set of discovers to be used only in the winter months. stud them if that makes sense for your application. and try a 235 85 16 tire. thats my 2 cents.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

I use Nokian Hakkapeliittas. I've run just about everything, and these are hands down the best snow tire I've ever had on a plow truck. The tread has full depth siping, the compound is very soft and full of silica. They're soft... so they won't last if you run them year round. But, that's why they work so well. It's a trade off... The best plowing tires won't be the longest lasting ones.

Nokian tires are made in Finland... It's winter all year over there. They know a thing or two about snow tires. ;)

Oh, and they're expensive too.

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

I always plow with cooper discoverer m & s , switch out for the summer.
  17. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I run 265 terra grapplers. No issues

I don't care about the slight bit of traction I give up. I'm generally not driving through snow do it's irrelevant

Plus IMO skinny tires on a truck messed up stability
  18. ss502gmc

ss502gmc Senior Member

I've run 285/16/16 BFG all terrains for years and never had an issue. I loved them and 2 sets lasted me 100,000 miles towing heavy trailers and plowing. Last year I got a set of 265/75 general grabbers AT2 studdable only because I got all 4 for $500 vs the $1100 for BFG's and money was tight. I didn't get stuck at all last season with them. I've put about 15,000 miles on them so far and they still look new although I think BFG wear better. In the winter I'm running with a 8ft fisher and full load of salt in the bed with spreader. Everyone will have there opinions about snow tires and while I 100% agree on narrower is better I have no complaints about the 285/75 BFG AT's for plowing or anything else. When these tires are done I'll be buying a set again.
  19. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

Firestone Winterforce or Bridgestone Blizzak W965.

The Firestone is not quite as soft as the Blizzak, so the tradeoff is going to be wear vs. winter traction (the Firestone will last longer, but the Blizzak will be better on hard packed snow and ice).

For anyone who has never used dedicated winter tires, either one of these will run circles around a typical A/T or M/T tire in the snow.
  20. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

How many of you guys are actually driving in the snow? I guess driveway people might.