1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck Questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hummerslawncare, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Hummerslawncare

Hummerslawncare Member
    from Mass.

I have a couple of questions maby you guys can help me with :waving:

I have a 1996 F250 XLT 8 cyl. 5.8 L. with 95,000 miles and a 8 foot fisher mm plow. This year is my 2nd year plowing and i have 30 drives and 2 commercial lots (not to big) I was just wondering what are some things that I can do to prevent a break down. Also how would i add a 2nd battery and keep my volts at 12. I also was wondering if someone can teach me how to past pictures on the site I have the beast new strobe setup with 16 heads and i am dying to show you guys.

Thanks for all the help you have given me!

2. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

How best to prepare the truck and plow - proper preventive maintenance - change coolant, oil, transmission fluid, gear oil in differentials and transfer, and hydraulic fluid in the plow. Check the truck from bumper to bumper especially springs, shocks, brakes, tires and U-joints. If radiator/heater hoses have never been changed consider doing it now. Check all bolts and pins on the plow. Check and replace if needed any leaking hoses or cylinders. Lubricate anything that moves on the plow. Check all electrical connections to insure they are clean and tight and apply dielectric grease to them.

Dual batteries - Painless wiring makes a dual battery kit. Or if you don't want to isolate the second battery (not necessary for plowing) just mount another tray and wire them in paralell (negative to negative and positive to positive) that keeps you in a 12V system and doubles your reserve capacity. Just remember that dual batteries need to be identical in size type and age. In other words if you decide to add duals you better buy 2 new batteries.