1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck purchase advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Jetboy, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

I currently have a 92 Chevy full size extended cab pick up that I use for doing my business and rental properties. I'm looking for a suggestion for a new vehicle. One of the problems I have is that some of my parking lots have limited areas for manuevering. What smaller new vehicles are suitable for putting a plow on?
  2. Dakotaplowboy

Dakotaplowboy Member

I have had the same problem with manuverability. I have an 03 Crew-cab, With the plow that is one long truck. I am now looking to buy a 2500 Standard cab short box. If that is still to big, get an ATV. You can put a 5' blade on one of them. I got a lot with a 8' choke point right at the entrance. Its to big for the snow blower, to tight for my truck, but just right for the ATV. (I am going to have to sub it to a buddy with the ATV until I get my own.)
    Good Luck!
  3. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

Buy a jeep. 6 Ft blade and they turn on a dime.JM.02 worth
  4. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Short box 1/2 ton with some good ballast in the back and timbrens all around. You ge the short wheelbase you need, but still have the durability and mass of a full size truck.
  5. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

What type of a Jeep do you suggest?
  6. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

Excuse my rookieness but are timbrens tires? The short box pick up seems like a good suggestion. I'm just wondering if there is anything like a big Bronco being made anymore that would be suitable for plowing.
  7. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

They are spring rubbers and decrese the travel of the spring so the truck doesn't sag.

Google is your friend. Thats not to say dont ask questions here, thats what this is about....or, sortof about.

But you can get a quicker response and good info with a quick search.

And an extended cab short box is ok too. If you can deal with a 6 foot bed.

Im not sure I could deal with a standard cab anymore. I need the storage space in cab.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2006
  8. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

I guess one of the things I should consider is the cost savings of using the Meyer plow I have on my 92 with whatever I decide to buy now. I'm sure an 8' plow isn't going to fit on a new Jeep. Can I also assume that the mounting hardware on my 92 Chevy isn't going to transfer to any new pick up?
  9. mayhem

from Peru MA

Timbrens are spring helpers that will kick in after your suspension travels a certain amount. Their website explains their operation quite nicely and the installation is supposed to be very simple. I do not have a set myself, ut many members here use them to great advantage.

I'm not sure there are any full size, short wheelbase SUV's still in production.

Correct. The frames change with every major model redesign.

True, but the 2000 ecsb I have now has a wheelbase close to a foot longer than my 85 regular cab long bed. Jetboy, is your current 92 a long bed or short bed truck?
  10. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

Long bed. (extra characters to make the forum gods happy :dizzy: )
  11. mayhem

from Peru MA

You're looking at a 1.5-2' shorter wheelbase with the short bed extended cab (the rear seats are significantly larger than the 92, so you do pick up a bit less than the 2' box length difference. If you're plowing commercially you would probably be better off with a 3/4 ton truck anyway, which I don't think you can get regular cab short box, but you can get x-cab short box.

COBBETTS AUTO Junior Member

Great Trucks

i would go with a toyota truck. i own my own auto repair shop and i install plows the toyota trucks are great and you would be a fool to go with anything else..older toyotas had a problem with rust and power 80s thru early 90s however mid 90s and newer are bullet proof either tundras or tacomas have great turning and dependability..take it from me i make all my money off of domestic cars and trucks..
  13. Jetboy

Jetboy Junior Member

I appreciate the advice but I couldn't buy a vehicle that didn't have a US nameplate. This is a big UAW town I live in.
  14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Trash the Meyer, and i'm not trashing meyer, any plow that old would be better off left with the truck. The cost of mating it with a late model truck would not be worth it, and it's technologically a dinosaur.
    A jeep with a 6'8" or 7'6" blade would be a good choice. After we get some snow and I use it I 'll let you know how the Liberty works, it has a great turning radius but not overly powerful, will have to be on top of it's work sites. It sure will not handle what the full size trucks will. I know a number of Wranglers in my area and am aware of a number on the site. Check the Jeep thread.
    A short wheel base regular cab Pick-up is another good choice. I know dodge makes one, you would be restricted to a 1/2 ton.

Good luck