1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow truck preservation

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by tcdodge5000, Nov 9, 2010.

1. tcdodge5000

tcdodge5000 Junior Member

I am buying some older trucks so I wanted to know what is a good lubricant to spray on the truck frame as a good preservative for keeping trucks from rusting out due to salt, snow, and water. I also want to do the body as well.

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Sounds like a job for Fluid Film.

3. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Fluid Film:nod:

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

POR-15 is such a process to do if you do it right. Just do what the other guys said....Fluid Film.

6. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

another vote for fluid film :)

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree Por-15 is the choice IF you are doing a stripped frame restoration. But for the best bang for the buck join the FF Cult

8. timberjack

timberjack Member

FluidFilm for sure. :nod:

Here's a picture of my truck's frame showing one years effect of fluid film. I had to grind off the old mount the previous owner had welded to the frame, before i could mount the Boss U/C last November. After getting the plate off, i had to grind off all the weld beads, to smooth out the frame too, so basically had to grind it down to bare steel. I was going to spray some regular paint at it, but though i'd give the fluid film a real test and document it.

This picture was taken a couple days ago, when doing the fall undercoating. I forgot to take a shot of it after i pressure washed the collected dirt, but i assure you, it was clean, bare steel. This is one year since i did the install, and i don't think there has been any rusting. There looks to be some surface rust on the bare portions, but that was there when i initially sprayed it down last fall, as it had been about a week between the install and treatment.

[​IMG]

The highway dept here uses the brine solution in the winter, and that crap seems to stick to the bottom of everything. Has been fluid film week around here, got one more family truck to do today.

[​IMG]

BTW, here's a picture of the driver's side about halfway through last winter, for comparisons.
    [​IMG]

9. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

Now this is a beautiful thread! Thanks for the pics and the support! :drinkup:

10. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

used motor oil, get old paint gun put it in that and spray it on.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:eek::eek: What do you call your truck, The Valdez? Not really environmentally friendly there. Nice thing about Fluid Film, it is non-toxic. Believe me my dog would be dead right now the way she licks it off of things.:dizzy: Makes it safe for us to use in horse trailers.

Plus Fluid Film will last far longer then the waste oil treatment.

12. simoncx

simoncx Senior Member

I tried purple powers de-ruster a couple days ago on the frame of our used dump we picked up, worked pretty good but today I sprayed everything with rustolum paint and I'll do a coat of fluid film next. Should be good for a couple years. I've actually had pretty good luck with regular rustolum pain, holds up for 2-3 years and it's cheap and easy to touch up.

13. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

its an older truck with rusted frame..only put it on few times a yr.

14. vt properties

vt properties Senior Member
    from vermont

vote for fluid film....

15. fishgeek

fishgeek Member
    from chicago

Hey guys what do you have to do to pm somebody. I looked in FAQ but I don't see no
    PM anywhere. Whats up?

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a cult?

Excellent pics and testimony TimberJack. Going to be installing some push plates this weekend. Will be power wirebrushing the loose stuff, and liberally coating everything with FF before assembly.

17. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

another vote for FF

18. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I have had good luck for the past 7 years with regular car washes. I had no problems removing the bolts that hold my bed on a few weeks ago.

Does FF wash off easily ?

19. berkshire

berkshire Junior Member

Fluid film is the only way to go........

20. gravelyguy

gravelyguy Member
    from Indiana

FLUID FILM:nod: