1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck overheating at high speeds - advice needed

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by xjoedirt55x, Jan 27, 2014.

1. xjoedirt55x

xjoedirt55x Senior Member

Okay, so here is the deal, I have a 2003 chev 2500HD that is overheating on the highway when running the plow. I have tried lowering, lowering at an angle and everything with no luck in getting air in the grill. I have been doing research and I have seen plenty of people saying well don't drive over 45mph, but sometimes the highway is the best option so I am looking to resolve the problem in other ways than just slowing down and not taking the highway.

I am planning on beefing up the suspension with add-a-leaf/roadmaster in the back, and torsion and possibly timbrens up front after the season so I am looking to possibly be sitting up 2" higher but I do not know if that will even address the problem, let alone solve it. That being said, I am running a western straight blade, and there is no rubber strip along the top so my idea/plan was to buy the rubber strip kit and mount an electric fan in front of the radiator and when I get on the highway, turn the fan on. That would help draw some of the air in I would imagine. The last thing I was thinking was to make an "air tunnel box" of some sort to mount of the plow to try and pull a draft.

I know I can also get the fan clutch kit which is not out of the question at this point in time.

Any good suggestions on products/vendors for the rubber flap or even an air deflector tunnel thing, or just find the best price and go with it?

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

If someone has a problem with over heating seems like its always on a Chevy

I say a Fan cultch kit should fix it or a radiator with bigger cores

Like on my truck I block half of the radiator with cardboard so my truck will heat up

3. xjoedirt55x

Never really had the problem on a ford, but it seems fords sit a little higher in general.... beats me.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Snow plow prep clutch, or h.d clutch

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

even when I hit the highway 9 times out of 10 the fastest I will go is 45mph b/c of the road conditions.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Drop the plow a little while driving to get air into it.

7. Antlerart06

Well I didn't want to say it but that's what I drive

8. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If you are dropping your plow sufficiently and still having a problem, you need a new fan clutch. Also make sure you have enough coolant.

9. xjoedirt55x

Tried that... I had the bad boy bouncing off the ground a little. Darn truck just sits too low I think. :confused:

I got a hell of a deal on the whole setup, and most definitely worth the headache of fixing the minor problems.

Think the severe duty fan clutch at local autozone would do the trick?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  10. xjoedirt55x

11. xjoedirt55x

Bump.... hoping to get something ordered or picked up sooner than later. Will one at a local parts store work or do I need to order a special one?

Thanks.

12. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Best one you can get at Napa should work fine. Napa parts tend to be better than the other box stores in my experience.

13. Antlerart06

I got to ask what Box stores are you talking about that sell parts

14. allseasons87

allseasons87 Senior Member

We had this problem on our 2004. Upgraded fan clutch solved the problem

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I think he's talking a.z. and a.a

16. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

My dodge is having a similar issue, although not actually overheating, it's just running warmer than normal because the plow blade is blocking the airflow.

If I drop the blade low, it runs almost normal temp, but I decided to change out my fan clutch anyway. Ordered one from Slammazon, as the one that I have in there now is one of these chinese knockoffs from Autozone I bought about a year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=automotive&field-keywords=hayden+fan+clutch

More importantly, I'm going to change the Rad Cap again, and see if that makes any difference as well. Seems as though there are those who think that poor radiator cap design attributes to head gasket failure,so..... who am I to argue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM38rFuI_YE

17. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I'm curious how many of you guys use the defrost setting on the truck to help keep the engine cool? I use this and it never gets past the half way mark on the temp gauge. I run it full blast as much as I can. when I get to hot I either open a window for a bit or turn down the fan until I cool off.

18. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

You are correct.