1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck options

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by bucksboards, Nov 20, 2009.

1. bucksboards

bucksboards Junior Member
    from Denver

My company has indicated interest in me plowing. I had thought that I would have to have a 3/4 ton truck to plow. I started looking and have seen plenty on 1/2 ton trucks with plows. I have to use the truck as my daily driver during the off season, so I was dreading the 12 mpg a 3/4 ton would get me.

My question is - If I go with a used 1/2 ton truck and a 7 1/2 foot Western plow what should I be looking for? I know I need 4x4, snow plow prep, and a V-8. Are there any modifications I will need to make to a 1/2 ton truck to handle a plow. We plow commercially and sometimes push big wet snow.

Thanks

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

then you need a bigger truck to push wet heavy snow.
    An A/T works better then a stick for plowing too.

3. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

You cant beat plowing with a diesel truck, espiecially wet heavy snow (unless its a loader). I would agree with hydro 37, move into a bigger truck, and get a diesel, you will get better fuel milage with it also. Also dont be afraid to buy a diesel with 200k on it, it will still have lots of life in it and save you lots of money up front

4. F350plowing

F350plowing Senior Member

a buddy of mine has a f250 and is getting 16-18 mpg so i would get at least a 3/4 for doing commercial especially if it is wet a lot

5. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

3/4 ton and a 8.5 foot blade will do yuo good. but if your going to be pushing wet heavy stuff then you might want to consider a v blade

6. bucksboards

from Denver

Everyone is suggesting I abandon the 1/2 ton and look at 3/4 ton. Is the 1/2 ton too light? My understanding of plowing with a diesel is that it puts too much weight on the front of the truck with the blade and the extra weight of the diesel engine.

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Ive heard of some truck manufactures not wanting too much weight on the front end with the diesel. Just dont go too crazy and you should be fine. As for the half ton, Ive plowed with them and they do o.k. but if you get heavy snow, the snow tells the truck where to go, where as with a larger truck with a diesel, the truck tells the snow where too go.

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I think a 1/2 ton makes a nice plow rig, however 3/4 ton works better on bigger lots.

9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I agree my uncle been running a 1/2 ton plow truck for 15years. Pushed any type of snow out there.

10. Deco

Deco Senior Member

usually commercial plow trucks are 3/4 ton or better ;). Best wishes

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  11. bucksboards

from Denver

Hey Mackman, did he have to add springs or make any other adjustments to his 1/2 ton?