1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Truck Lights - Needed? Or Not?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ProWorkz.com, Dec 20, 2004.

How many individual flashing warning lights are you running on your plow rig?

1. 1 - 3

76 vote(s)
  2. 3 - 5

20 vote(s)
  3. 5 -10

15 vote(s)
  4. Way to many.....!!!!

9 vote(s)
  1. Flashing Warning Lights - Needed? Or Not?

Whats up with all the guys who install multiple flashing warning lights on their plow trucks? Out here on the West Coast I never see plow trucks with so many lights unless it is DOT. Are all the lights really needed? Or is it some type of snow plowing disease....?

Some of these guys must have as much invested in their lights as they do their plow setup...... And on the average have more lights than most rescue vehicles or police cars.....

Whats next.....? Neon lights on the plow? Maybe neon markers for the plow?

So lets see who has the most individual flashing warning lights on their plow rigs? Post your pictures and take the poll.....
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2004
  2. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

One is enough at night.. Why blind everyone. A few more in the daytime since it is a little harder to see lights and they are not blinding in the daytime. I run one beacon..
  3. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i just run 1 beacon light thats it a newer truck i might those wig wags in for the corners
  4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

I use dual bulb rotating beacon. They get attention better in day time I think than strobes. I turn mine on when ever I am where traffic may be (in cars or on foot) as I do not want anyone to ever say "they did not see me"
  5. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I run a single strobe. One of my pet peeves is when I'm driving in the car and a plow truck coming the other way has so many lights that even though I know there's a plow somewhere up ahead I can't for the life of me see the edge. Sometimes it's so bad all I can do is pull as far to the right as possible and stop dead. At least that way if there's a collision I can tell the cop I was completely stopped!

6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I just run 1 nova dual strobe. At night, that seems to be distracting enough for me. I turn it on the minute the truck leaves the shop and don't turn it off unless the pickup is turned off.
  7. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

on my personal truck I have alot of warning lights but do not turn them all on at once.on my company truck I have a highlighter dual rotator on cab,strobes on the back and a single rotator on the salt spreader. My company truck is a dot sized truck so I think that I have not gone overboard.
  8. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

One thing I've noticed, is that too many plow operators leave their strobes/rotators on when they are not actually plowing...(obstructing traffic).

They have them on when they're just driving down the road...

In my opinion, it takes away from the "emergency" of the light. I find that motorists nearly completly ignore my dual rotator. I'll be RIGHT on the curb, sitting still..waiting for traffic to pass... and people don't even slow down or move over AT ALL.

It seems that because too many plow operators are running around with their overhead lights flashing all the time...motorists don't think twice about coming up full speed on flashing amber. They will be TOO close before they realize that you're stalled in traffic, or you have your back end sticking out a little too far.

I turn mine on when I'm about to cross traffic into the lot/driveway. And turn it off the moment I'm done plowing. If I'm sitting in the driveway--done plowing--waiting to re-enter traffic to get to my next job. Then I'm just a regular motorist. Not an "emergency" vehicle. I have no right to FLASHING AMBER lights.

So, I'm thinking about making my lights more DOT-style. MAYBE people will think there is a major road obstruction ahead, and move over a little bit.

Another pet-peeve is....the people who walk up to your truck when you are plowing. Especially at night. I nearly jumped out of my skin when this guy was suddenly standing next to my truck. He's lucky he didn't get hit with my mirror when I backed up.

9. Crumm

Crumm Senior Member

I can relate to that. At 2:30 am this morning I was in my shop checking the oil in my plow and truck when the door all of the sudden slammed. I about dove under the truck. Turns out it was my wife with phone in hand since a buddy of mine had called but crap did it scare me. I normally am all alone out there at 2 am it kinda scares ya when someone shows up unexpectedly.
  10. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Actually, in New Jersey, there are a bunch of rules and regulations regarding lights and colors. Anyway, plow lights are meant to warn "caution" not "emergency". Motorists only have to yield to true "emergency" lights, something like red, blue, and white (or some combination thereof) which police, ambulance, and fire have. Caution lights as well as blue lights (volunteer firefighters, rescue squad, etc.) are actually optional to, as you put it, "move out of the way".

I'm not saying I disagree with what you are saying but the motorist aren't really doing anything wrong...according to the law...now according to common sense they are, IMHO, just plain ole' ignorant.
  11. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Its pretty much the same in Michigan...

Snow plows CAN use amber lights when engaged in plowing and if the situation warrents. (paraphrased)

There's no law saying you have to slow down for a private snowplow operator, or do anything special.

So, no...they're not doing anything illegal. Just annoying. (and being annoying should be against the law, too. :rolleyes: )

12. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have one dual rotator and that is plenty for me. IMO, the rotators are more visible both day and night. These guys running around with a ton of strobes are more for show than anything, imo.
  13. Runner

Runner Senior Member

One single rotator on all trucks..it's plenty enough.
    Here in Michigan, no. The vehicles are not required to "yeild" to amber lights. It only applies to emergency vehicles. Also, here in Michigan, unless you are a municipality or contracted by one, it is illegal to run the ambers while driving down the road unless you are actually performing the operation right there (such as wreckers in transit with autos). To just drive from site to site is illegal..this applies for MANY states, as well.
  14. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Last year before a big storm I stopped in at a local supermarket to pick up some grub for the expected long night ahead of me. I parked my truck and went to go inside when another guy in a plow truck came up to me. He asked if I wanted to hire him or new anyone that wanted too. Said no. He was a nice guy and all and we started talking...He then started showing me the fancy lights he installed were his blinkers went and everything. I have to admit it did look nice...but why would you pay for all that stuff when he obviously didn't even have work lined up?

Cracks me up...
  15. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Local law just ignores it here apparently. Which is fine, i guess. (small town, you know)

It looks like an amber light convention in Ironwood at 4am. Nearly every single plow guy is going from site to site with their lights flashing.

16. crashz

crashz Senior Member

We had dual rotating amber lights on the one ton dumps, but mostly because visibility is much tougher with the dump bodies. These trucks also saw a lot of work the rest of the year during emergency utlity repairs (water and sewer lines mostly). Anyone who does work in the road will tell you visibility is crucial. Even then, motorists will try and run you down.

For the pickups, we just used the factory fashers.
  17. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I have a dual rotary on the roof. Blue lenses required here.

Remember, its all about visability. Not that it helps if someone (like that woman did to me last year) just doesn't look... :rolleyes:

My rotary goes on when I hit the jobsite, and off when I hit the road. Only other time it gets used is when I am unloading the float trailer etc. on the side of the road and I want maximum 'warning' to other drivers not to run over my azz....
  18. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

LMAO!!! :cry:

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Warning Lights

In Newfoundland, I think it is required that you have a warning light(s) flashing whenever you are plowing in traffic areas, whether it be blue or yellow, doesn't matter.

On my truck I have dual rotating blue lights, and a single yellow flasher on my quad. Lets people know that I am plowing with my quad, not just parked there.

I don't usually have my blue lights on my truck flashing when I'm not plowing unless I am travelling thru town in a heavy snow fall. Lets them know I DO have my plow on which takes up more room on the road.
  20. chris k

chris k Senior Member

6 hide away strobes here