1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow/truck light switch install

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cropdude, Jan 21, 2009.

1. cropdude

cropdude Junior Member

What is the proper(easy) way to wire in a plow/truck light toggle. Am mounting a RT1 on a 88 Chev suburban (old body style). Should i splice into the truck light wire harness then just run a toggle for the ground to switch from truck to plow.

2. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

Before the days of headlight adapter harnesses ,I used to run a seperate 3 position toggle switch, ( ON-OFF-ON ) for my plow lights. ( I HATED cutting into the truck's light harness). I wired them thru a relay..like you would fog lights, Mount your toggle switch in such a position that the "upward" On is bright, and the "lower" ON is dim.

I would also energize the relay thru an ignition source, then the plow lights will go off when the truck is turned off. (pre-warning buzzer days) To use, simply set the truck lights to the "park" position, so you have tail lights, and turn on the toggle switch for the desired plow light setting ( bright or dim ).

Pretty easy...and no factory harness damage...
  3. rickbays

rickbays Member

I did the same thing on my 99 dodge 2500. The only thing i did different is I used 2 relays under the hood. I did it this way incase on relay goes out Ive got a fall back untill the part store opens.