1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Truck Involved in Wreck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by riversMontana, Jan 10, 2016.

1. riversMontana

riversMontana Junior Member

Hi guys, im new to the site and this is my first season going commercial. Up until now, I was killing it with my set up and the snow fall. I was running a 06 F250 with the 5.4 and a bran new Snoway 29R with hydraulic wings. Truck worked great, plow was awesome until this week a young girl went through a stop sign and some how didn't see me. I did all I could to stop and miss but clipped her front end with the right side of my plow. MHP determined she is 100% at fault. Plow frame is twisted and truck frame damage will probably total it out. My question is, have any of you had to deal with a wrecked plow with insurance companies? I have been on her insurance company every day since the wreck. They seem to be very nonchalant about the plow because they say they have never had to deal with one, but it was involved in the accident and will need to be replaced by them. Plow is at the dealer I bought it from 2 months ago. Insurance adjuster is supposed to look at truck and plow this week. Im worried something will come up and Ill get screwed. Any advice on how to deal with the insurance company specifically with the totaled plow? Thanks!

2. hillbillydeluxe

hillbillydeluxe Senior Member

I had the same situation..mine was also a snoway. Also a female that "didn't see me" ... I hope both you and her are ok....dealer looked at plow to confirm it was indeed totaled. I called insurance company daily...they were by no means in any hurry until I started sending the insurance company invoices. ( I had to pay subs to complete my route) after that I had a check in no time for a brand new plow.

3. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

Did they back pay for money lost?

4. Avalanche 2500

Avalanche 2500 Member

Good luck, hope all is well in the outcome w/insurance. Insurance should
    cover what is ever on your truck, or what your towing/sleds,atvs. etc.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

call your agent and get them on the ball.

6. plowking15

plowking15 Member

When I bought my truck,plow was installed by dealer. My insurance agent added 5000 dollars to value of truck because originally it wasn't included. My friend had a big truck that got rearended had 20,000 in damage,bent rearend lost three months work, used his other truck to try to compensate. Insurance company for other driver still hasn't settled. He wants to use the difference of tax returns to show income lost but they said they don't know what figures to use as they haven't had claims for commercial vehicle. I think they offered him 5000 dollars. plowking

7. riversMontana

riversMontana Junior Member

Thanks for the responses. No one was hurt thankfully. This happened 4 days ago in the middle of a moderate storm. Luckily for me I was able to rent a plow truck from my former construction boss and get to my route that night instead of the morning. So i lost one pushes worth of revenue when I could have had two. I will bill the insurance for that, for the rental plow truck from here on out until I see the money for a new plow and truck. They haven't claimed responsibility yet but there is no way they cant. My insurance agent has been involved since the accident. The truck im renting isnt wired for any sort of salt spreader, so not only do I loose the revenue from ice control, I leave my clients unsatisfied as far as ice management goes. So im not really sure what to do on that end.

8. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Is it a third party adjuster? I had a similar problem years ago. After a few weeks of the adjuster jerking my chain I told him I wanted his contact at the ins co. I told him I'd be explaining to his superior that the 2K initial cost had risen to 3.5K and was climbing weekly due to rental expenses for another truck to keep me in business. Their attitude will change quickly

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

A woman rear ended me and smashed up my salt spreader. The insurance adjuster said that his only obligation is to get the unit back into the condition it was in prior to the accident. It's been a while but I think he offered $800 because he found the replacement parts on ebay for that much.

I rejected his offer and I said I'll just take your insured to court and get a judgement against her for a new unit. He ended up buying me a new spreader.

So here's my advice: Don't take the insurance company's first offer unless it's exactly what you want. #2 Don't think that the adjuster is on your side at all. In order to be an adjuster you have to be a manipulative azzhole so keep that in mind. #3 Don't sign anything until you are 100% satisfied.

10. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

Crappy situation but never leave clietns unsatisfied no matter the problem. Get a push spreader and fill with bags every 50' if you have too. Have to perservere

11. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Depends on your insurance... My pap was a statefarm agent for 30 years.. For statefarm the plow is not covered it must be factored into the truck value and they must know this before an accident or your sol... Have you contacted your own insurance? They are the ones that should be pushing the girl at faults car insurance.. Keep your receipts for everything.. You are the one not at fault so they must pay accordingly... Our 04 grand cherokee got rear ended by some azzhat not paying attention.. His insurance wanted to total it because it wasnt worth it for them to fix it(10 years old).. I told them to shove it I wasnt totaling a rust free jeep that was worth more to me than the repair price.. After all it wasnt my fault. State farm fought with them for weeks and actually state farm had to pay to get it fixed because the guys insurance was taking for ever to settle.. Not sure if state farm got back what I got or they got shorted.. All I know is I didnt pay a cent.. Point is fight for what you are owed and dont let anyone tell you any different..

Talk it over with your insurance and let them know the spot you are in they should be able to help you out as far as options for you right now..

12. Randall Ave

Randall Ave 2000 Club Member

Anything you have to do out of the ordinary for your customers, document everything.

13. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Exactly, this is why you pay for insurance. let them deal with it. The op new job is keeping his agent on their toes...

This is exactly correct!

3 or 4 years ago, 11/15, on my way to an appointment, and I get T-boned. I was 100% not at fault as the other driver "ran" the stop sign. Now, my plow was not on the vehicle at the time, but my undercarriage was. The insurance company totaled the vehicle. It sat in the dealers yard for at least 2 weeks after the fact. The insurance company and I couldn't come to an agreement on what was not a part of the "plow package" (which im pretty sure Yukons never had plow packages). They wanted the undercarriage and wiring to stay with the truck, or $350 deduction in the payout. I refused. About a week into dealing with it, they were complaining that it was costing them money to keep the truck at the dealers yard. I told them once we could agree that the undercarriage and wiring harness to the plow was NOT a part of the plow package, I would agree with the offer. It worked out, I bought that truck well below blue book. Insurance paid me nearly double what I did. We are a "no fault" state, which kind of sucks, but it did work out for me.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  14. Snow Intruder

Snow Intruder Junior Member
    from Oregon

Wondering what insurance company's everyone is using and are you happy with service?

15. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I use an small home town agency. They seem to find the best deals with the larger companys for me