1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Truck Involved in Accident

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Avery07, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Avery07

Avery07 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Hi everyone. I'm hoping some of you might be able to shed some light on my current situation.

Last night one of my trucks was involved in an accident where a car was driving too fast and hit the front end of the plow and truck. The plow broke a hydro hose, light, and is dented up and scratched pretty good now. This was a one year old MVP3 plow in mint condition. Truck sustained front end damage to the passenger fender, grill, bumper, and passenger lights. Possibly more to it than that but that is what we're working with right now.

We have a plowable event that should be coming in on Saturday that this truck needs to be functioning for and at this point, that is not likely.

Before I get on the phone with their insurance company, am I in the right to expect that they buy me a brand new plow and pay me $150/hr for every hour I'm not able to use that plow truck when we get snow on Saturday?

This is an irritating situation and I'm not trying to profit on the deal at all but I just had the **** tore out of my $7,000 plow and am going to be down a truck for what appears to be a good event coming our way.

Any thoughts??

Thanks.

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Was the plow new when it got hit? Nope. Only way you will get money out of the insurance company for down time is to show up with a receipt showing that you had to pay someone else to fill that trucks job. Even this may be difficult to do. Remember insurance companies are not the business of handing out money. Get the truck to a dealer and have them go over everything. May find a lot more damage. Last truck that came into the shop here after an accident needed new headgear, a frame, hoses, one angle ram and a few new pins to repair the plow. The truck itself was totaled.

3. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

First thing the other vehicle's insurance company is going to try to do is have you file a claim with your insurance company, using your deductible. This is the first effort to try to wear you down. Then they will dispute that their client is at fault, unless you have a police report, which will be your second hurdle. Then you have to get an appraisal, and have it approved, after you verify that your plow is covered under your policy!
    I would suggest you get the plow fixed, if in fact you need it for your business!
    All this sucks, but it is the way things work, unfortunately

4. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

How could anyone but your ins man know...we don't have a copy of your ins policy?

5. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Anytime I'm involved with an accident. I call my insurance agent just after 911. Unless someone is hurt. Your insurance agent can walk you through everything you need to do. At the accident and after when you file a claim. I would also use my cell phone to take pictures of everything I could think of.

The insurance company handles these things every day. They know best what needs to be done to get you back on the road as quickly as possible.

6. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I would fix it so it can plow
    Take lots of photos of the damage and new parts
    7k plow if that had the install price on it Ins may not pay for that part.
    If they do pay and they give you the check. Call 4qte When I price my 3rd MVP plus I price a MVP3 they wanted 5400 ship to me.

7. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Your own policy should have a rider for the lost income portion of the claim, unless you chose not to get that. They would then go after the other driver.

8. Avery07

Avery07 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Thanks for the info guys. I called my insurance and we will be compensated for any subcontractors we have to bring in to handle potential snow. Gonna work on patching the truck and plow up to handle it if possible. Certainly an annoying situation.

9. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You better come up with a better backup plan in the future. Get a older cheaper backup truck and plow you can use in case a vehicle goes down. I always had at least 2 options for a backup, skid steer and truck.

10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

If they're going to reimburse you for any subs brought in then go get one and take your truck and plow to the respective repair shops and have them fixed properly. You don't need to be rigging things together just to get through and cause bigger problems that your/their insurance won't cover

11. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

that's why they call them accidents, annoying situation takes too long to say. Hate to say it but what has been told so far is all good advice. However a few things that where not covered. If your insurance company said you are going to be compensated for using sub contractors, get that in writing. Also follow their rules for hiring sub contractors. You will probably have to get quotes from 3 contractors in the snow removal business, not your second cousin twice removed and have plenty of documentation on why you picked that guy. Don't be surprised that they find a guy in July with a rate that even illegal mexicans won't work at. I hope that you told your agent that you were in the snow removal business and the truck has a snow plow package from the manufacture. And have proof that you told your agent. You will hear the argument that a snow plow is equipment added to the truck after purchase and not covered unless you purchased a rider for it. Loss of business income is hard to prove unless you have the same accounting system as the insurance company. This is where seasonal pricing pays off. You are guaranteed to be paid whether it snows or not. If you are charging per event they will use the thought that you haven't lost anything unless it snowed. And the final thing, you could be completely in the right and you still get charged with 10% of accident for being there. That 10% can be translated to 10% loss to you in your claim. After 30 years, all of the above has happened to me. Been there done that. Post Graduate of the school of hard knocks.

There are good insurance companies and bad ones, there are good adjusters and bad ones, and hopefully you have a agent that knows the difference. If you don't a lawyer will straighten it out for you in his favor. Probably fixing the plow at your expense is your best alternative right now. Having backup plans is really excellent advice because sh*t happens

12. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Can you expect it? sure, will they pay it? no... You'll have to press for economic loss due to the collision and likely have to get an attorney involved to handle the dispute with the other parties insurance company.

Was the plow new yesterday? no, can you easily go and find a 1yr old same model tomorrow for replacement and provide a receipt? no.

Get a quote from your local dealer for a brand new same model/brand plow installed and send them the estimate. I wouldn't even entertain fixes or repairs as they involve time, lots of downtime, potential it needs more parts or labor down the road.

13. Ramairfreak98ss

I agree, to do this right, " in legal insurance terms", that the insurance can understand, you're going to have to put out some money up front.

One of our trucks was in an accident last year, our own drivers fault totally, and our plow and spreader was NOT covered by ANY of our multiple insurance coverages, ya don't say!

We could have completed all repairs on the truck in house EXCEPT really the body work, even things like the FORD replacement mirror for $500, the adjuster who looked at the truck estimated a china made $125 mirror i think, i made sure i paid the body shop for a oem ford one, and i was reimbursed then.

We paid over $2500 in mechanical repairs for stuff , again we could have done for half the price, and not be waiting for reimbursement, but i can't hand the insurance a bill from my own company

14. Ramairfreak98ss

Yeah not that all of us don't have our draw backs, but a lot of companies who plow snow, have a backup plan to some extent.

If you have one or two trucks, you shouldn't have accounts that necessitate high risk work. I know a lot of guys and companies in NJ that take on stuff they truly should not, in hopes of making it big with one account.

We have extra push boxes than we have machines for, we have extra boss plows, i think about 17 or 18 of them now and only 10 trucks, but a couple subs needed plows this year and because we have them to let them borrow, we have a good extra sub doing good accounts making us good money.

Right now we have 4 bulk spreaders sitting on the ground, not needed, including a unused VBX8000 boss and trucks that havn't even gone out in any storms yet this year "not because i chose to do it that way", but when something breaks "and it always does", you need a quick fix.

At any time we have a spreader issue, jammed hopper, flat tire/dented rim, one truck starter went, the next trucks starter went 3 days later and most of these issues had little to no impact on our operations.

15. Avery07

Avery07 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Thanks again for the reply everyone. I think a lot of you are making poor assumptions about what situation you think I may be in.

I have three subcontractors with plows that are always on standby for bigger snows or if one of our trucks goes down. I also have a large skid loader and brand new 10' box that sit idle for the same reason.

We have a great relationship with our insurance agent and have never been in a situation that would lead me to believe they wouldn't fight for our needs.

Additionally, our insurance is well aware that these trucks have expensive plows on the front and are used for plowing. It's all in the policy.

Good info going around but believe me I have managed my risk to the best of my ability.

Also I didn't mean to say we are just rigging the truck up to get through the storm to where it wasn't properly fixed. I meant to infer that we would make the necessary fixes to get it back to a functioning condition. That doesn't include body work, etc. Truck checked out mechanically sound this morning and the plow is going to the dealer in the morning to get it in functioning condition until insurance can catch up later.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

You posted..."We have a plowable event that should be coming in on Saturday that this truck needs to be functioning for and at this point, that is not likely."

And.."This is an irritating situation and I'm not trying to profit on the deal at all but I just had the **** tore out of my $7,000 plow and am going to be down a truck for what appears to be a good event coming our way."

So it didn't sound like you had a good backup plan.

17. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Wip was simply giving you good advice....don't take offense...just plan better for the future.

This yr has been the worse for us with breakdowns....all related to 1 of our trucks in particular. We still serviced our properties in a timely fashion (maybe a few minutes late in a couple scenarios...nothing the customers noticed though), but "I" had to run extra hard to cover that trucks butt...along with 1 of our subs picking up a few extra things for us.

Having good working relationships with good subs (& being a sub) has proven to be very beneficial for us in these scenarios.....it works well because we, in turn, have picked up extra work on occasions when they have a problem. One instance was 2 storms ago, we did a late night salt run when a subs main salt truck went down, and another fellow contractor had a salt truck go down....ended up salting (2) lowes accounts, a Kroger, a Bass Pro shop, and a large apt complex.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  18. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I don't believe there is such a thing as an "accident". There are things such as miss-calculations, bad/poor decisions, poor execution, driving too fast for conditions, poor reactions/over reactions, distractions, flat out not paying attention, inexperience, being impaired, mechanical issues, not pulling out in time...the list goes on. There are reasons why everything happens.

19. Defcon 5

Defcon 5 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't understand this comment..............:drinkup:

20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Take it now to your claim adjustor and theirs for the est. Then fix the hose and go plow.