1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck for Ontario

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by McGaw, Jan 19, 2009.

1. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

Hey guys,

I realize this is asked all the time.
    I'm looking for a cheap plow truck for next year. I want it to be able to pull a small landscape trailer in the summer as well.
    Not sure of thekind of truck, year, etc. Or the type of plow
    I'll be plowing Residentials for the most part.

This would be great if you could give me some advice.

I've got about $1000 saved up, I make around $400 every paycheck (two weeks) from Bestbuy, plus I've got accounts on top of that.
    Money isn't a major influence, but I would like to keep everything for around $5000

Thank you
    -Adam tymusic
  2. mgt379

mgt379 Junior Member
    from CT

Have you checked craigslist good stuff is always up on there ussmileyflag:p
    Personally i would look for something small like a bronco 2 ( 2.9 v6 good on gas)but 2 things come to mind
    1 im not sure how popular bronco2's are in canada
    2 how big of a trailer are you planning on towing
    If you are planning on growing as a business i would look for an older Dodge, Chevy or Ford (again don't know availabiltiy in Canada)
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  3. Check the Trader.ca and look for a Chevy S-10 or Dodge Dakota. Keep the truck small for residential plowing. A jeep is nice too but often expensive and they are pretty problematic. Especially the frame of them where the power steering box bolts on.
  4. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

5. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

That's an awesome little truck.
    I wasn't too sure if an s10 or a Dodge sport were goingto be big enough?
    ff1221, what year is the truck and how much did you pay? (If you don't mind me asking)
    What would something like this go for?
    And the perfect plow for it?
    Did you find without the rear plow it's too light?
    Thank you guys very much
  6. ff1221

ff1221 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a 97, and I paid $3500, and it cost me a couple hundred to safety. As far as a plow goes, anything will work to get you started, i ran a 7.5' Arctic for 9 years on another 1/2 ton, and it was flawless, and you should be able to find a decent used one fairly reasonable. The Blizzard is awesome but a pricey way to start, start with what you can afford and work your way up, and yes ballast is definately required, lucky for me the rear plow is the right amount of weight. Good luck, and keep an eye on autotrader.ca maybe you'll find a bargain there.

7. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

Thanks Mike,
    What would you reccomend for ballast?
    Just a couple bags of salt in the back?
    Or how much weight are we talking?
  8. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

There is a early 90's chevy shortbox on kijiji, it has a 350 and only 92000kms...Just a heads-up
  9. martyman

martyman Senior Member

GRAND CHEROKEE...or CHEROKEE SPORT...its unibody but I see a few guys around here using them...cheap. I might buy one for next year and have my TJ as a back up...if I keep plowing next year.
  10. gmcplowtruck

gmcplowtruck Member

i have an 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9 gas with 105,000 7.5 meyers plow and snow ex tailgate spreader 4x4 new tires nw brakes and roters beginning of season trying to get $5800 for if you dont mind to travel
  11. McGaw

McGaw Senior Member

Which kjiji? London?