1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow truck blows up building

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mws399LAWN, Dec 22, 2010.

1. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

2. pmorrissette

pmorrissette Senior Member

oopsie !
  3. blaryslawn

blaryslawn Member

Better hope his insurance is paid up.....lol
  4. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

hopefully if it was the plow drivers fault as according to the news it was just hit in passing and not while he was trying to stack snow in front of it. Around here I know most gas meters on the sides of buildings have big concrete posts surrounding them, usually we also put 2 or 3 big stakes in front of stuff like that so then it wont get pushed there. That business is probably going to be paying big, and hopefully they dont lose any other acounts over this. Im sure there are some business that are a little skeptical about them now.

People who dont plow snow dont realize how hard it is to plow snow actually. Theres millions of things to look out for on a given property, let alone trying to remember 4 or 5 (average number of stops per plow truck route) then the additional ones not on your standard route. We deal with the weather, metal and physical exhaustion, and just dealing with stupid people who make our lives that much harder on the road. One of my friends the other day said how can plowing be hard you just sit in a truck. I said ya you sit in a truck for 12 hours battling the elements and working. On my ride home from the shop yesterday after the snow, plowing for only 12 hours, I could barely keep my eyes open, and that was only a 2" storm. Wait until we get the 7-12" storm and were out for 30 hours or something.

Just be thankful that everyone made it out ok and it was simply a monetary loss.
  5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Wow, tha'ts enough to ruin your day. Or year!
  6. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

thats awful....makes dinging my tailgate not seem so bad
  7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

They are required to have bollards in front of them. I wonder how in the world he hit them if those were in place.
  8. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

thats what im wondering, either he completelty knocked one of them out nd then hit the main, or they werrent in place.
  9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

The buildings in the pic looked like pole barns, i'm thinking they didn't have any kind of barriers in front of the meters.
  10. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

If you read the story actually they are not sure if it was positively the plow driver or not. That is only what the owner is saying as of now. Could be he wants to push off the responsibility of who is at blame for insurance reasons.

It is to bad they post a accusation without proof of what happen first. Read the comments people have left, not so flattering to plow guys.
  11. KingDonuT

KingDonuT Junior Member

And thats why we have Liability insurance..............
  12. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

I find it funny that everyone assumes all of the damage is done by plow guys but never see them acually do it. Also if "plow guys" are so dangerous how come we can get insurance and drive around in the worst conditions that the roads present and still get to the jobs in the storm time after time. I have a route the I travel 4,000 feet in elevation and 70 miles through mountain roads. I cannot not say that my driving record is perfect. I can say I do not do drugs. I find it funny how people genralize whith plow guys. They do not specify between City, County, State and commercail. People really need a civics lesson. I think it is funny the hate that gos on about somthing that happend to someones aunt that she thinks was done by a plow guy but really does not know cause she did not see it. But damn those plow guys they are horrible people who charge way to much money and blow up buildings.

End Rant

Have a merry christmass everyone
  13. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Crap someone said it. I feel sorry for all involved especially the plow driver! But good to know everyone will go home to their families for Christmas!
  14. ForestEdgeSnow

ForestEdgeSnow Senior Member

QUOTE]Crap someone said it. I feel sorry for all involved especially the plow driver! But good to know everyone will go home to their families for Christmas![/QUOTE] AMEN Boss plow
  15. dumbyankee

dumbyankee Member

NO not again, Those dumb plow guys. Who can plow for 36 hours straight and not take drugs. Now stop it. Soooooo who got the free booze after the fire?
  16. EdNewman

EdNewman Senior Member

That is a "newer" requirement. Many of the buildings by me; built in the 60's and 70's; don't have them. We use fluorescent orange marking paint on all of the bollards and other things that stick up on our customers. Some of them have complained but we remind them that it is better then what happens when we hit stuff.