1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Truck Anti-theft system

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MickiRig1, Nov 18, 2006.

1. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

A while back a post was made about someone getting their plow truck stolen when they parked it and went into a store. They left it running with the keys in it. This system let's you leave a truck running and it's impossible to steal it!
    http://kussmaul.com/ or 1-800-346-0857
    You just put the truck in park, push the button, a red light comes on next to the switch.
    Take out the key and walk away!
    The system keeps the run circuit alive. All the charging, heat, lights keep working.
    As soon as a person try's to move the vehicle they hit the brake pedal and the vehicle shuts off.
    I have used this system for the last 3 years in Ambulances I work on and have never had it fail.
    It's pretty much a plug in, run the wires install, not rocket scientist stuff.

2. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I just have a quick disconnect key chain. One part has the ignition key, the other has PO Box key, House key, and keyless entry. If i want to leave my truck runnig, i just use the keyless entry remote to lock the doors. Cheap too!

3. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I lock the truck with a spare key. I also carry a spare key to lock my loader while it warms up while I continue plowing with the truck. Another advantage of the spare key system is if you loose one in the snow at 3AM while you are out of truck shoveling, uncovering salt pile, working on or checking equipment, or one of the other hundred things we do you are not SOL, You have a SPARE!!!!!!!!

4. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

Problem is with that method is that people can still do a smash and run.

THey can smash your window and be in the car and off before anybody get a chance to notice.

Personally, I always thought they wouldn't be able to steel my truck with the plow on because they won't know how to put the plow up, but you never know.

You can also go with something like the edge juice box, it has a cool down timer.

And many adtermarket remote starters have this aswell

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The beauty of the system is that the ignition is locked and the truck can't be moved or restarted. I have an extra key for my ignition too. I don't shut it down till I am in my own drive at the end of plowing. Some of these crack heads will steal your truck for just the radio. Just think how many rocks of crack they could trade your plow for.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Here is a pic of my security system..

It is proactive, and it will take a bite out of crime.

It is easily moved to a different vehicle if needed.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  7. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

Any remote starter system will allow you to leave the vehicle running and take the keys with you. Not to mention being able to start your truck from in the house while you get dressed or whatever to head out plowing. Come out nice warm truck all melted off...

8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

This got me thinking! If your controller isn't bolted down (like mine), just take it with you! lol.

9. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Its still the last thing i would worry about in my area. Most stores i stop at i can watch the truck easy and if they steal it. Most of my work is with in 1-6 miles of msp call them red ford with v-plow stolen. How far and fast could someone get on snow conditions roads with out being un detected?
    Mike

10. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Why not just turn the truck off and put the key in your pocket?

Or am I missin somethin.

11. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Lol YES!!!:D

1. Some of us just like a warm truck.:yow!:
    2. A warm truck will keep it's windows clear of snow.
    3. A running truck will charge up the batteries.
    4. I use my parking brake and shift into (N) with it running, so my tranny cools.:drinkup:
    5. It's easer on the truck to just leave it running, especially the diesels.

12. LLM Ann Arbor

You guys are somethin else.

See? This is just one more reason were getting a divorce!

lol

You make valid points but comon.....Id be more inclined to carry a spare key in my pocket, leave it runnin and lock the doors than to install another eletronic gizmo. Like we dont have enough on a plow truck already?

13. LLM Ann Arbor

and 6: you can let the tranny cool and your batteries charge while you shovel your moms walks! Maybe she'll even fill your coffee mug.

:p

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Yea... In some states it's against the law to leave a vehicle running unattended. or with the key in the vehicle..

But in the winter you see everyone leaving their car running in a cold spell and no one gets a ticket...

I leave it running with one key and take the power door opener and a key with me.

My wife really likes her( eletronic gizmo) remote truck starter ,I might have to get one for my truck.

6. It lets the engine cool down too, if youv'e been plowing for a while..

shovelers... The next batch are growing right now, their my parent's greatgrand kids;)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Its called an ignition override, most cops cars and ambulances have them. Do a goggle search Im sure you will find something, I suggest if you are going to buy one spend the money get a good one not a cheap knock off brand.

16. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

battery charging is a big one. Even on a dual battery setup, your battery gets behind from the plow. When you go to get a coffee, etc... leave it running and everything will get caught up.

17. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

We drive with the plow down plowing... so why would driving off in a your stolen truck be prevented by the plow being on the road? Besides, I have never met a thief who cared about the car they were stealing.

As has been mentioned any good auto start will have a keyless run cycle- my Clifford has it from 6 plus years ago. Works great for all the reasons already mentioned in this thread.

18. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I have an autostart and it doesn't have this option. It's factory, and not the best autostart.

And go ahead next time you are at Mcdonalds and driveaway fast with the plow down. See how far you get... You will more than likely break your nose at the first speed bump, first transition onto the road, etc... It won't be easy.

I'm not saying it will competely deter them, but it will slow them down

19. Hedgehog

Hedgehog Senior Member

I install Prestige remote starter and they have what is called a pitstop feature. When you pull up to get your coffee simply hit the button on the remote, wait a second, and then turn the key off and take it with you. Now if anyone tries to steal your rig, as soon as they hit the brake the truck dies. I have even installed these units on diesels.

20. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I have an aftermarket keyless entry/alarm system, and the way its setup, it activates everytime you lock vehicle, and de-activates upon unlocking (when using remote)... if the ignition is on, it will not function... besides the ol Cummins would definately shake it enough to sound the air horns on the alarm hehe... so if i wanna leave it running AND lock it (rare but,) I just use my spare key I keep in my wallet to get back in and use the lock button on the door to lock it as i get out... however next spare chunk of change i get i'm gonna get a remote start / keyless / alarm system combined... a local car electronics accessory store does alot of these installs and they say it has a delay timer to accomodate for glow plugs/heater grids in diesels and fuel pumps on EFI vehicles... and they say it can also be setup to use on manual shift vehicles which I'd need to remember to always leave it parked in neutral, a hard habit to break as I always just throw it in gear....

And yes many performance programmers (or at least some) for deisels have a "cool down" feature on them which do let you remove the key and it stays running, if you get back in the truck before the timer goes off (different time settings to use) and put the key back in and turn it on, it still stays running... there are also aftermarket cool down timers that cost around $200 (if anyone's interested i can find the link)... good for those who don't want to invest a little more $$ in a programmer, or like me, have a mechanical fuel pump powered engine and can't use programmers...