1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow truck advice

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by cody_lick, Jul 3, 2011.

1. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

I understand a truck with 4-wheel drive. What I'm not sure of is wat kind of plow to look for. If a straight blade better than a v-blade? Should i get a mini light bar or full light bar? Is one plow company better than the next or what all should i look for?? Any advice that you fellow plowers can help me out with would be great.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

There are many variables in what you need to run a successfull plow busines. Straight blade versus V blade, depends on what your plowing. Big wide open lots a straight blade is fine. Little areas, where snow must be carried to certain locations, then a V blade, or a containment plow is what you need. The size of your lightbar means nothing as long as it is visable from any 360 degree angle. Then you last question is loaded. If you are going to own and run your plow company than the company is only as good as you make it. I would like to think that I have one of the best plow companies in my area, but I am sure that is up to interpatation.

I can only assume that your starting out here with little to no experience. So my advice to you is to start small, hand pick your lots so you can find one that opens at 6, 1 at 7 and 1 at 8 type thing, so your not killing yourself untill you learn the ropes. It will take a year or two to get the experience needed to start making a major dent in your market share. Also stick to smaller lots, or drives till you learn your costs. Included in your costs, are replacement costs, office costs, time, breakdown costs, actual equipment costs, INSURANCE, and fuel. Don't go out thinking your going to make easy money. Snowplowing is long hours, and bad hours. 2 am storms, have way different challenges than a 7 am storm. All day events are even more fun.

My best advice is like I said before, start small. Buy good equipment, but it doesn't have to be brand new. A couple years after your going well, start looking for back up equipment as well. Good Luck

3. cody_lick

cody_lick Junior Member

If i get a truck with a plow and lightbar, then I will plow for a company that does a decent size strip mall. Along with that I have a couple residential accounts where I just use shovel or snowblower. I have been out in these storms for the past 2 years. This will hopefully be my first year running a truck. My first year was only doing shovel stuff, and this past year they put me on an ATV with a plow. As far as lightbars go, do you prefer LED or like a halogen or just depends on my preference?

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

It's your preference on the light bar. Just make sure it is bright enough to see from a couple hundred feet away in a snowstorm. I have hide away strobes, as well as lightbars on my trucks just to make sure people can see me.

5. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

RC is correct it sounds like you will be doing mostly commercial. make sure the truck and equipment you purchase are up to the task at hand.
    i ran blowers this past winter and am going into a plow truck soon i have a very difficult time choosing what it is will suite my needs verses what i would like.
    im choosing to stay resi so my equipment will not be as big as some one who is doing shop rite parking lots
    also one thing i learned is going out at 2am in the morning is a lot quicker then going out at 7am. it took me 3 times as long to get my route done the later in the day due to traffic and people getting stuck.

6. gagesllc

gagesllc Junior Member

rotator lights take more battery power
    led lights are nice but $300 is alot for something that a $100 strobe will do just as good
    Dont buy junk equipment. after plowing for 12+ hrs the last thing you want to do is fix your truck all the time at least thats how i feel