1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow tripping

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mike9497, Dec 26, 2002.

1. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

all day and night my western was tripping like crazy.i guess its from the little bit of ice under the snow.the plow never once stayed up straight unless it was off the ground lol.i was plowing the bank that i have and i was moving an inch at a time.i hit the man hole plate while the blade was in full trip and the front of my truck went up off the ground and i had the blade full left and it made the whole truck go to the right..lol.my friend has a fisher and his was tripping alot also.he ended up bending the blade on one side.4 bolts that holds the blade snapped to.no damage on mine thank god...lol
  2. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

How old is the plow?
    If the springs are old then it's time to replace them.
    Also I'd concider adding another trip spring. I think there's directions on Chuck's pages.
  3. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

My plow would trip alot also I changed the springs and it helped, but when the snow is driven over and packed down the blade will stay folded as Im pushing.
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

5. long0

long0 Senior Member

Also check to ensure that the tension on the springs is correct. I adjust my springs so there is a very small space between the coils when there is no tension on them. You don't mention what type of snow you were pushing, or how much, but your blade should not be tripping that much unless the bottom layer of snow was wet / heavy stuff.

6. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

no guys i got new plows this year.it was from the layer of ice under the snow.the past 2 storms i have used it and it never moved even when i was stacking snow
  7. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I had no problem with my Fishers running steel edges. Peeled snow and ice right to pavement. No issues the whole storm. Did have to help a friend who has a u edge. Just could not get ice up even though he pre salted. One pass with the steel edge and the ice came right up.

I see a lot of people plowing with the blades, mostly Meyer, tripping. Not being specific to you but I think a lot of it has to do with plowing style. If you start slowly and apply even power across the pass the blade is less likely to trip. Dropping the blade and then slamming into the snow is the reason that the ploe does trip. They sre designed to trip so that the truck and plow are saved from damage.
  8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Try cranking the springs up a bit like suggested above,it will help.Also check the attack angle,the a-frame should be pretty close to parallel to the ground.
  9. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

I know what your saying.i've been plowing since i was 16.i even worked for my towns public works dept.i have used fisher, diamond,meyers,western,flink.on trucks like a 86 toyota pickup 4 banger.up to 38,000 gvw mack dumps.now my meyers that was on my toyota always tripped cause it was a little 6 1/2 light duty piece of S***.never had my westerns or fishers trip at all until the other night which i just thought was strange.you should see the way the town plows with the fishers diamonds and flinks,the fishers and diamonds are tripped all the way back.when they hit man hole covers the plows fly straight up into the air and come slamming down.the flinks have 3 parts that trip and there always at full trip.smashing into curbs that i re did when i use to work there lol lol
  10. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

I have another problem. I have an old (85) fisher, with the the internal hydrolic pump.

I had the two inner springs on, and the plow tripped too much. The I put on two more outer springs, and it doesn't trip at all.

Why does fisher have the outer spring perches there if it doesn't allow the plow to trip?

I know. I'll just buy a new truck and plow :)... getting tired of broken parts.
  11. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

thats fisher for you.there made for heavy high speed plowing like doing roads and large lots.a blade should only trip if you hit something that it can`t move.like a curb.....lol.i noticed with a fisher if you aim the blade straight it will trip if the snow starts to stack up or while stacking snow it will trip.i would rather have a full trip blade cause at least i know to back off the gas a little when it trips because its hard to tell when a trip edge blade is tripping,but you don`t have to replace springs so much on a trip edge.
  12. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Thats what I've been doing lately. I plow with 2 other trucks at a large aparment complex, so I do higher speed plowing for the main loops, where I guess it does trip because I've never had a problem.

But hit a manhole lid once going pretty fast, threw the whole plow in the air.

I love the fisher though, and its probably what I'm going to buy for my new diesel.