1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow tripping "lamp out" light in truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by keithl5x2, Dec 14, 2010.

1. keithl5x2

keithl5x2 Junior Member

I've got an '04 Dodge Ram CTD, Boss 8' str8, smart-hitch, something plow-side keeps tripping the "lamp-out" function inside my truck?? Driving me nuts is the lovely chime that goes along with the light. All lghts function! Occasionally I will get a fast flashing indicator with the right side turn signal, other times it's fine, The brown wire and the "main-ground" that go to neg post are clean and lubed. Again, all light function plow side and truck side.
    Any help??

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Does it only do it when you first hook up or does it happen while plowing?

3. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

My 02 does this as well. Only when I switch to high beams, when the plow is either on or off the truck.
    I have not trouble shooted it yet, but I am guessing, probably wrong, one of the relays in the plow wiring. Also my headlights kind of get lower when i switch to the highbeams

would anyone suggest changing relays?
    this problem only started after putting in the wiring

4. keithl5x2

keithl5x2 Junior Member

This occurs only when the plow is attached, when plowing/driving.
    It does not happen when I first attach plow. It is intermittent.
    Drove yesterday without lights on, no lamp-out indicator. Seems to only happen with lights on.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I would say you have a plug losing contact intermittently. If I have my head lights on when I first connect the plow I get the lamps out indicator. Could be you have a loose something in the headlight harness

6. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

checked them all, all are tight

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

How old is the plow? could you need to put a set of grill plugs on it? They will rot internally and cause monintary loss of contact. Do the lights on the plow flicker?

8. keithl5x2

keithl5x2 Junior Member

Plow was '05, Have always kept the bumper plugs clean and lubed. Lights do not flicker.
    I have noticed that some of the pins in the plugs seem loose or wobbly? Need new plugs?
    Thanks

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be your issue. Even a momentary disconnection will trigger the lamps out indicator.

10. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Try changing you right side turn signal bulb in the plow. I had the exact same problem and that was the solution. Yes, I know your bulb is working, but the filament may be stretched and making contact with something else in the bulb...........took me HOURS to fiqure it out.

11. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There was a service bulletin on those era Rams. Something in the load on the system would trip the lamp. Also sometimes one side or the other would stop working. I never had Rams but I know a guy who had the problem. Dodge had to flash the computer that controls the vehicle lights and the problem was solved.

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

:salute:That is a piece of info worth storing away:nod: even if it is not the OP's problem.

13. jimchris

jimchris Member

My 05 Ram did the same thing with a Hiniker plow on it. Now I have a 2011 F350 with a Poly VXT with wings, what a beast.

14. FeelLikeANumber

FeelLikeANumber Member

The dodges are NOTORIOUS for lamp out. I've got an 02 and have replaced the tail light circuit board on each side, and have had plow light problems myself. Check things like the connectors spray some elec cleaner in em and use dielectric grease. - plowed one night with the lamp out light coming on EVERY time I hit the brakes ... Pain in the a$$... Good luck

15. AC2717

AC2717 Senior Member

I do have a bulb out on the plow side, diver's side blinker build, the top one, but this also happens when the plow is not connected, that is why I am thinking it is the relays in the plow wiring???

all connections on the wiring have been checked.

so if I hit my high beams with plow on or off the headlights go slightly dimm (replaced the bulbs already here) and the lamp out light comes on, and stays on until I shut the lights off and turn the truck off. After I restart the truck the lamp out light goes away, unless I try to use the highbeams again

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Double check the adapters if it happening when the plow is not on the truck.

17. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Remove the offending turn signal assy. Run a temporary ground from the - battery term. to the ground term on the turn signal. If this cures the rapid flash and dim bulb, remove the headlight and check the ground terminal behind the headlight. The light grounds through the headlight to the plow light frame. The plastic headlight is sandwiched between 2 steel plates that are riveted together.Drill out 2 or 3 rivets and grind away any corrosion. replace them with # 10 screws and nuts. This should restore the ground circuit.

18. keithl5x2

keithl5x2 Junior Member

Update: Fixed!!! Thanks for everyone's advice/help. I did originally replace the bulbs in the pass side plow marker, along with cleaning. Upon further inspection found that the actual metal piece that the bulbs go into, slid right out of the plastic insert. Loose and minor corrosion. All clean and bright! No "lamp-out" light or chime. Thanks again!