1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Tripping...Is it Normal?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Duplantisjj, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

This is my first season and maybe it takes some getting used to, but when plowing is it normal for the blade to move a little back and forth, almost seeming to trip on tough spots? We have been having wet heavy snow lately too. If this is normal then I'm sure glad my plow came with a shock absorber on the blade. That probably smooths out the trip a bit. I watch the plow guides a can tell the plow is going forward and back a bit sometimes. :confused:
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Normal operation. You could tighten springs a bit if you want but I would leave it as is.
  3. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

are you going along easy or flying through with no shoes on?
  4. Duplantisjj

I'm doing between 10-15 mph, no shoes, asphalt parking lot. That supposed the recommended speed, according to the Boss manual. Everything seems to be doing what is was designed to do....just never done it before and was wondering if it's normal operation.
  5. Runner

Runner Senior Member

You may want to tighten it up a little bit (springs). Sometimes, when it trips that easy like that, you end up leaving a bit of a sheet because the plow isn't digging as well as it should because of the angle of the bar isn't providing enough downforce, but helping to raise it up a bit. Also, if your plow stand upright more (taller), it holds more capacity at the ends of your rows. I hope this helps.
  6. LINY Rob

LINY Rob Senior Member

are you hitting something when it trips or is it just tripping on its own?

if your hitting things then install some shoes
    otherwise tighten up the springs
  7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I just looked at a pic of a 7'6" Poly Boss standard-duty.

It has 3 springs, but with the height of the trip pivot being so high, it should probably have 4 springs on that size blade.

Thing is, they use just 4 springs all the way up to their 9 footer.

I've never heard any complaints from the larger straight bladers, though there arent many out there.

At rest, can you insert a business card through the spring coils? If not, tighten them up to this point.
  8. Duplantisjj

Interesting...I thought the Poly Standard had 3 springs...mine has 4??? And it came with a shock absorber. :cool:

I posted it in the picture forum here Springs

It's not really going into a full trip...I have that happen a few times...already :eek: Really the Scared the crap out of me the first time....

It's really moving back and forth a little when it catches some hard stuff (wet spots whatever)....just wondered if this movement was normal. :confused:
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Do not tighten them too much because it does "cushion" your vehical from impact shock and allow it to trip or give as needed. Also as more snow is stacked in front of plow above the centerline of push it decreases the tendancty to flex like you are seeing
  10. Buckeye Chuck

Buckeye Chuck Senior Member

That is the Western Poly Standard that has three and their Pro Series has four. The Western and Boss look very similar. The Western comes standard with a deflector too.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2004