1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow triggers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kent Lawn Care, Jul 16, 2002.

1. progressive pricing system

Im trying to refine this a little more. ive been plowing for the past 4 year with doing it at a flat rate. well, im finding more and more that the progressive price system works better. my question is what are some of your price brackets. i was thinking about going with....

1 1/2" - 3"
    3 1/2" - 9"
    9 1/2" - 12"
    12 1/2" - above

thanks for your guys input!
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2002

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

We try to go with something a little more refined to cut down on discrepancies with the customer. These are the most common brackets found in pricing in these parts.

9.1 and above priced per inch

Exact amounts are usually dictated by the weather service so nobody can argue (although they tend to favor the lower amounts due to its location-oceanside).

*this varies from trace to .5" to 1.0" for triggers.
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2002
  3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I had one like that last season were they said we had a mild winter so we could not of had the amounts that I said.Well i ended up winning the argument but it's alwasys better to log the amounts when you plow like that at each location.beacuse depends at what location your are to how much snow fell you could be only 1 mile away and have a dusting at one spot and 1/2 a foot at the other and they called it 4"at the weather service.
  4. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I tend to agree with Cat320. Here in Pittsburgh we have several accounts in the downtown area, and another one on Mt. Washington. (That's a difference of about a 1/2 mile in distance but several hundred feet in elevation.) More than once we've had *nothing*--not even a need to salt--in the downtown locations, but had to plow 2' or better on top of the mountain. Here the NWS reporting station is at Pittsburgh International Airport, which is a good 15 miles out of town. What happens there accumulation-wise can be radically different than what we find in town. We try to make the customers understand that if there's an 8" storm the likelyhood is that they're going to get plowed twice (whether it works out that we plow 4" twice, or 2" and then 6", or 6" and then clean up the last 2"), and pay for both times. Large accumulations like that are infrequent enough that we don't run into too many arguements.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For this area, all residentials are on a 3" trigger. My rate is from 3" to 8", 8" to 12" and 12" +. I've found that there is rarely a snowfall at exactly the 3", 8" or 12" and if there was, I would go with the lesser charge. So far, everyone just goes with my judgement/charge. I don't think anyone wants to get out at 5:00 in the morning, walk out in the middle of their snow-covered lot to stick a ruler in the snow. I've got a reputation for being fair with people, so if they wanted to argue a charge, I'd suggest they find someone else to plow.