1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow training tapes

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KenP, Dec 7, 2002.

1. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Can anyone recommend any video training tapes concerning plowing, use of truck and techinques? Any and all help will be used well.:D
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

3. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Try www.sima.org they have the all kinds of training tapes. They are also a sponsor of this forum up at the top.

Good Luck
  4. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

5. Mike Nelson

Sorry Mick we must have been posting at the same time.
  6. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Apparently, alot of us were.....

Hey... we can't ALL be wrong !!!
  7. Mike Nelson

Well KenP definitely knows where to get them now :D
  8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

KenP, do you know where you can get a training video now?:D
  9. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

Currently available from SIMA:

Intro to plowing
    Intro to sidewalk clearing
    Intermediate plowing

Coming next (in committee at this time): De-icing
  10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't have one of SIMA training video so I cannot comment on that. I am sure that they made good videos but I am disappointed with my membership with SIMA when I was a member. The problem is that I am deaf and those videos don't have closed captioning, but they already have it in Spanish version?!? Usually a video in market have closed captioning first before having Spanish version. I called SIMA to inquiry about this and they said that they will contact me back when they find out more. Never got a call from them. Contacted them again, and they never call me back again. It surpised me that an organization like SIMA would not response to my question. Had they have video in closed captioning when I was just starting out, I would have bought it. But not anymore. I learned how to plow snow and I still do have plenty to learn but I am doing fine now.

When I signed up with SIMA last year because of recommendations, I got alot of info. packets and binder in the mail. I was thinking, wow, this might be a good organization. But as the time pass by, I realized that this is not for me. I am a solo plowing around 10 driveways making a few hundred dollars each time I plow, not a big contractor company that make millions of dollars each time they plow. This is what SIMA is for - it is for large contractor companies. It's not for me, not at this time. I feel that I may have wasted my money for membership but I accept the fact that I did learn some from them and understand more of what SIMA are.
  11. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Thanks for all the information fellas. Since I'm new to the site, I hope to get a lot of good info. Are there any other than the sima tapes? I've been plowing for years, but I just bought three new trucks and my guys need to get the hang of it. I think it may look a little easier then it is, from the shovelers vantage point! I could always use some new pointers too. This past storm was a real eye opener for me and for them. I had some fairly large number differences between trucks and we were all hitting the same type of jobs. Hence the traing tapes. Thanks again

Ken Pagurek
    HPK Properties L.L.C.
  12. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

I'll take up for SIMA!

I'd imagine that there are many more people that employ Spanish speaking workers then there are deaf plowers. I'm not calling you out or anything, and you may disagree, but I'm just stating my opinion on the market.

Where did you get this from? As a matter of fact, I don't plow for profit. I'm in the Air Force. I have been a member of SIMA for 2 years now, and I will continue to renew my membership year after year. I've networked with some great people through SIMA and learned a ton of stuff. There are even more benefits to a company than there are for me, so you should be even happier. They offer tons of discounts on products, etc.

I'm sticking with SIMA because they will play a huge part in this industry very very soon. I can only see more great things to come from SIMA.

And back to the subject, I personally own all 3 SIMA Training Video's and they are great for training yourself and employees.

I used them for the second year in a row during my week long "Snow School" that I teach on base for our 60 + workers. They get nothing but great reviews.

Good Luck, and check out SIMA if you haven't already. The trick with any organization is you only get out of it how much you put into it.

Hope this helps!
  13. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

The question regarding training tapes was answered. As far as pro vs con SIMA thread, IMO that should be taken to the SIMA discussion forum, in the manufactures area,
  14. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I wasn't looking to start a discussion on SIMA I was only asking if there were any other tapes out there, I like to research all my options. Thanks again.

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!
  15. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

I am sub-contracting a lot that I worked last year along with two gas sta. and two condo`s. The big lot during a storm has too long of push to take it out of the lot,when wet. I plan on getting John Allin`s book and my question is; Is there a section in the book that shows "methods " employed on large open lots ? Thanks in advance. This site is ,has been a hell uf an asset for the independent small beans contractor like myself. I love to draw form the more experianced large scale operators that post regularly. Going with a U edge first time this year,thanks to the posts Ive read about. Do believe I`ll like it.
  16. guido

guido PlowSite.com Veteran

I may be confused.....

BUt.....YES! I'm pretty sure it was in the book, but it could have been on one of the video's that I saw it.

They show a few methods for different types of lots. Some most know already, but they also showed some "think out of the box" solutions that were very intresting.

Again, the book and video's come very reccommended!
  17. Tammy

Tammy Member

KenP - the National Safety Council does have two highway safety plowing videos out - SIMA reviewed these videos before deciding to produce our own. Their videos only cover highway plowing and are extremely basic. To the best of my knowledge there are no other plowing videos out there (except ours).

MGardner - John's book has five chapters that cover "In the Field" they are as follows: Snow Removal Equipment; Plowing Effectively; Sidewalk Snow Removal; Working with Deicing Products and Managing a Snow Event.

wxmn6 - I am sorry that you are disappointed with your membership but also believe that is for another thread. But in response to your comments about the lack of response from this office I will say this...that type of suggestion would have been brought immediately to my attention which it never was. This office has a policy to return all calls within 24 hours and have NEVER (in the five years I have been here) failed to do so.

Tammy Higham
    Executive Director
    Snow & Ice Management Association, Inc.