1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow tower wont raise or anything work

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Nov 6, 2012.

1. once in while the tower would raise but would like jump going up. now went to put it up and wont move cant even push it up by hand. makes a click noise and all from underhood and another noise but wont raise tower.i did notice there was some play on the plow motor were the ground wire goes.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you already found the issue. :waving:

3. but he motor still makes a noise when try to lift tower and everything. i did put my controller in float and tried so see if the coil is magnitized seemed really weak. i pulled it off and put back on seemed really good. was able to start pulling the lift cylinder up by hand a bit and then went to flip the controler up to raise tower and didnt do anything. check the coil and was preatty weak again. thinking might try and see if a couple new coils will hopefully take care of it.

4. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Check all your grounds, my plow wasn't moving yesterday and making a buzzing sound, checked the grounds and found one loose, now she works as she should.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Take a guess how the coils are grounded.

6. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

Haven't had any problems with my boss plow yet knock on wood. There is two grounds right? One on the truck and one on the plow? Where is the ground located on the plow? Inside the sealed compartment area.

Just thought this would be good information to know. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's attached to the pump motor either directly on the motor ground stud (on a two post motor) or directly to the motor housing on the older single stud motors. And the park/turn lamps and all coils receive their ground directly from that connection, except on the older units where they were all individually self grounded through the plow itself.

8. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

Hi Everyone . . . new member, new to plowing, but have already run into a similar issue.

My recently purchased but used 9.2 V plow's tower would raise intermittently, and once I managed to get the plow mounted, I would experience a sporadic inability to extend the wings or raise the plow. Since I was a newbie, I took it to a local dealer and had everything checked out.

They serviced all of the electrical connections in the plow itself, but when I hooked it up again I had the same problem. We then did the same for all of the electrical connections under the hood. Things seemed to be better, but I experienced the problem again once I got back home.

I performed an even more thorough wire-brushing, re-seating and re-tightening of the connections under the hood of my truck, but still had intermittent problems.

I finally disconnected the 12v supply cable at the bullet connector (where you'd normally unplug to remove the plow), scraped the gunk out on both sides, and used a screwdriver to gently force the fingers apart on the plow-side and truck-side male pins. Voila, no more intermittent operation!

The rubber jackets around the connectors were in pretty bad shaped and allowed a lot of flex. I'm guessing that over time, flexing the connector to plug/unplug it forced the fingers together, and my attempt to make the connectors a little more robust (using duct tape, what else?) simply had the effect of keeping one or both of the pins from making contact with the sleeves they was supposed to seat in.

So . . . don't assume that connector is solidly connected just because it feels tight.

9. Dodge DeBoulet

Dodge DeBoulet Junior Member

A followup to my last post . . .

I still saw intermittent problems raising/lowering the tower and operating the blades, so I replaced the factory barrel connectors on the 12V DC cables with an Anderson connector set purchased at NAPA Auto Parts. The part number is 740235.

Here's the link:

Anderson Battery Cable Connector 175A

You'll need basic soldering skils to install them, and I'd recommend heat-shrinking the connections to keep the water out. Although it's not for a plow hookup, this video does a great job of explaining the installation.