1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow too heavy!!!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mtrombla08, Oct 12, 2009.

1. mtrombla08

mtrombla08 Junior Member

Ok i have a 2004 silverado 1500 ext. cab. I have a 7.5' fisher stainless x-blade on it. Now i know the plow is quite heavy for the truck but i need some ideas to beef up the front end. I have Timbrens on it and those help. I also put about 350# of steel blocks in the back. Just looking for some ideas on what to try or if anyone has had good results with a certain product. Thanks
  2. MRBachand

MRBachand Senior Member

Try cranking your torsion bars, perhaps even replacing them with something heavier duty.

Could try more weight in the back (as far back PAST rear axle the betteR) but might need to add helpersprings/airbags if you go too heavy there...

Could try shimming your timbrens down more too.

I believe they make AIR shocks for the front of the newer chevy's , that might be your answer.
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Try 1350 lbs of weight in the back... 12 - 40KG bags of salt up against the tailgate always worked good for me.....
  4. ed39

ed39 Senior Member

get the t bar keys, it will level that truck right out youll be good to go
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Before you spend the money on keys, see if you can get enough lift just from cranking the adjusting bolts.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

a snippet from another thread on the same topic. Have you checked which bars you have? you could consider changing your T-bars, installing a set of GLs or XGs.

If you use the search feature (search "keys") there are more threads on this then you want to read.:nod:
  7. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

levelin kit and timbers thats what you need

i have a 2005 silverado 1500 ext same thing as you i was gunna put a xblade but i someone on this site talked me out of it i got a 7.6 hd is only like 80 lb different but i put a leveling kit witch is basicaly different t bars and a shock spacer , new front shocks and timbers it holds the weight nice i just have my tool box in the bed with all my tools in it it doesnt look like my back wheels are gunna come off the ground
  8. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Crank the torsion bars and triple the ballast. Keep it all behind the rear axle if possible.