1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow too heavy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bluevan, Nov 10, 2003.

1. bluevan

bluevan Junior Member
    from NH

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of replacing my tired yard truck with an 89 fullsize blazer. In my search for a suitable plow, I have come across a decent 8' fisher speedcast for a reasonable price. It is mounted on a rotted 85 F250 and has 4 springs on the blade. My concern is that this unit will be way too heavy for my k5's feeble 1/2 ton front suspension. This is only for plowing my own driveway and a few nieghbors, so I will not be driving it too far. I am hoping to not have to change springs in the truck.

Also I will need to change the plow mount, because I am sure that the F250 mount cannot be used. Does anyone know how to get in touch with the place in Maine (browns?) that sells used plow parts?

Thanks for the advice!

2. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

If youre only doing your own and a few neighbors, I would just add some timbrens to help carry the weight of the plow. They are about $160 or so and are easy to install.
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you should be allright, last year I ran a bronco with a c-8 meyers blade, I had airbags instead of timbrens though. your truck has basicaly the same front axle so I have to say go for it.
  4. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Out-Of-Production Parts Sources

Here's the info for Brown's:

Brown's Exit 27 Salvage
    Brunswick Road
    Gardiner, ME 04345

I called them looking for parts for my Fisher/Jeep CJ rig. The guy who answered the phone was a complete axxhole!!! Before I could even finish telling him what I needed he cut me off and said, "We don't have anything for you!" Then immediately hung up. (Great customer service, aye?)

Here are a couple of places I WOULD recommend:

Little Jay's Auto Repair
    210 North Main Street
    Brewer, ME 04412

They sell new and used Fisher plows & parts. They had the drive pulley I needed for my engine, plus an extra pump pulley. They were exceptionally helpful, friendly, and professional -- with great prices. And they were more than happy to ship my order via UPS.

You may also want to try:
    Lang’s Corner Garage
    351 Wallis Road
    Rye, NH

They sell new Fishers, but they have an inventory of new/out-of-prodction parts. They had the pump mounting bracket for my truck (brand new - $31). They were also very helpful/knowledgeable.

I highly recommend Little Jay's, or Lang’s Corner and I would definitely do business with either of them in the future.
    Conversely, I wouldn't buy a cotter pin from the "friendly folks" at Brown's if I could help it. But that's just me!

Also try Uncle Henry's. www.unclehenrys.com

Good luck.
  5. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

With an 89 blazer you can get the mount pretty easy. That mount was used from the mid 70's right through the early 90's. In fact I had an 88 blazer with the 8' plow, I just added a leaf back then, now the timbrens would work fine. Try www.snowplowparts.com
    they should have what you need, or go to http://www.bargainnews.com/BNO/CatResult.cfm?RequestTimeout=5000&make=Truck and Van Parts
    7 1/2', fits 87 Chevy K5 Blazer, new cutting edge, exc cond, $450 OBO. (203) 734-2825 . Ansonia-Derby
    That is just one ad on that page.
  6. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

if i were you i would go ahead with the 8ft fisher plow. since you wont bo doing to much plowing with it it wont kill the truck:)