1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow too big?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Jan 11, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I'm looking at buying a used 52" Quadboss (same as Cycle Country I assume) for my Brothers '06 Bombardier Rally 200 2x4 ATV. I was really wanting a 48" blade for it- but for the price- this one seems like almost too good a deal to pass up...is it going to be too big for his quad?

I have a 54" CC blade on my Kawi Prairie 360 4x4 and it does great- I'm just worried that a blade that large on his smaller 2x4 atv is going to be too big...

2. sublime68charge

sublime68charge PlowSite.com Addict

if he has a Low Range or Gear on the Quad? should be fine.

you'll need weight over the rear tires and Tire Chains back there would help alot also.

he'll probally be able to push 3/4 of what your 360 will due. snow falls under 6" be OK at you get over 6" your gonna struggle unless you plow with the storm.

just my thought's.
  3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Unfortunately, BRP does not have a LO range on this quad (love it on my 360)...I'm thinking that with some weight on the rear rack (70LBS or so), and tire chains, he should be okay.

It will be primarily used up at our camp to plow the driveway while we're up there (since the guy we hire to plow our road only comes at the end of every storm)- so time isn't such an issue...

Does anyone know for sure if the mounting "horns" on the Quadboss are definitely the same as that of Cycle Country? He has the mount for his wheeler- just needs to correct blade/tubes...
  4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Anyone else?
  5. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

153 views and no other responses?????
  6. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Most ATV snow plow vendors recommend at least 500C for 60" plows, so I would say with 54" you may be able to push some light snow falls but are really exceeding your CC's.
  7. hondarider94

hondarider94 Junior Member
    from Indiana

i dont think ccs really have much to do with it. i have a 250 recon and my dad has a 2wd foreman 500 with a 52" state plow.. his problem isnt enough power to push it, its traction

i would go over a 48" on my recon because i wouldnt have the weight to push it.
    i DONT reccomend you getting a 52" for a 200cc atv..
    id look for a 42"
  8. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

True, but generally more CC's = more weight = better plowing. Plus more CC's can handle more weight!
  9. skywagon

skywagon Senior Member

Not totally true, plowed for many years with 200 CC pushing 54" blade:D
  10. lagwagon

lagwagon Member

Is this an informal invite to play a logic game? Generally is not "totally". Generally is helpful for those seeking answers to unscientific questions. Generally.
  11. BruteForce750

BruteForce750 Senior Member
    from MA

Lagwagon, theres no use in trying... :rolleyes:

Just know your right and move on...
  12. MBrooks420

MBrooks420 Member
    from Erie PA

It's all about weight and drive. I'd put the largest plow on an old King Quad and they were only 280's. They also had super low. Not familiar with the Rally, are they chain driven? If they are I'd gear it lower for more usable power, and it'd be easier on the auto clutch. I don't think 4 inches would be a deal breaker. If it doesn't want to push the 52" it's not going to be smooth sailing with the 48"
  13. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, we ended up getting a 48" blade for it- pushed about 2" of snow with it today (at the house upstate)- pushed it no problem!
  14. noooooo

noooooo Member

Couldn't you cut it down with a sawzall if it was too big? Only issue would be the blade shoes. Not familiar with how Quadboss attaches the blade shoes.