1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow to truck harness options

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by IHI, Oct 18, 2013.

1. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Hey guys, looking for a different option to replace my now 3rd set of truck to plow plug-in's on my western mvp uni mount. For yrs I've done the spread the bullet pins to make better contact along with die-electric grease, last yr the plow didn't want to drop. Found by putting it in the float mode and then getting out and bending the 12 pin harness into a V shape, it would make contact and plow would drop. Tried for hours to get it to work "right" but ended up putting a zip tie on each harness (plow side and truck side) and then using a 3rd ziptie ran through the ties on the plugs and pull them together into a slight V shape and all worked good.

This fall I decided I'm not replacing the truck and plow harness for a 4th time, decided i'm not spending $90 on harness ends that are obviously a flawed design or else I wouldn't be on/needing a 4th set.

Have read a few google searches of guys using a couple trailer plugs and going that route, I've been toying around with using a GENO type plug- think the round military/aviation style plug OR a 12 pin Deutsch plug.

Looking for any pictures, idea's, anything before I pull the trigger and buy something, anything to redo the factory junk plugs....these harnesses have been my cause of extreme headaches over the yrs with the plow going down or acting stupid during an event, so would like to find a better, long term solution.
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Odd that you have gone through 3 harnesses. May I ask if your 100% sure its in the plug and not the cut and splice job?
  3. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Would like to say it's a cut and splice but 3 times it went to dealer, and 3 times they installed brand new factory harnesses on plow AND truck since it would have demons they couldn't isolate and they said it was easier and cheaper to just install all new harnesses on both sides to cut down on bloodhounding the problem.

The one time, second harness on plow side, he found a wire that had rotted internally after he started stripping back all the plastic coating and said that was "weird, never seen that before"

This time I have it isolated to the actual 12 pin connector since jiggeling it produces results, so i'm happy it's just the plug ends and not the previous broken wires in the middle of a circuit with no indication. I don't do commercial plowing anymore, but have a lot at home to move so just want get it fixed and try to go at least 2 yrs without spending hundreds to keep the dang thing operational..last yr was cheap, 3 zip ties LOL. But I want a more secure connection.