1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow to A frame pins???

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by rclay11541, Nov 28, 2005.

1. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Hey guys,

Got another tuff one,,, i think. That ST-7 plow and A frame i just picked up looks pritty good in terms of rust except for the pins that connect the A Frame to the plow. The problem is that the rust from the pins is BAD to the point where the cylinder on the sector and the pin are one.

I have two questions:

1. When your plowing is the preshure on the pins that hold the plow to the A frame or is the preshure transmitted to the A frame itself through preshure on on the mold board?

Im hoping that preshure is transmitted through the moldboard to the A frame by the whole sector itself. When the plows not tripped it looks like the sector rests on the moldboard. Im hoping that the pins are there just so when theres no forward preshure on the plow that the mold board stays attached (driving and when tripped).

2. How do i tell what size sector i have? i see an 11inch and 15inch. Where are these meashurements comming from?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2005
  2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Not farmiliar with your plow but for instance on my meyer much of the force is put on the "kingpin" or the main bolt of pin that the a frame attaches to the "sector" with. So yes I would have to say pressure is on these pins that why they are so heavy and thick. When not tripped some pressure is transferred through to the a frame via the "stops" that the springs hold the plow too but most of the force is transmitted through the pins.
  3. rclay11541

rclay11541 Member

Thanks for your reasponse, the reason why i was asking is because the rust looks really bad (only on the pin and the cylinder the pins slide through) and i dont want to replace it. Anybody else have any input before i start cutting and welding?