1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Time's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by The Grassman, Nov 9, 2003.

1. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I am new to plowing with a truck world and was wondering if i have things correct. I am going to do a late bid on a commercial building in my area and i am trying to see if i have my times correct.

The are i have to plow is 153535 or just over 3.5 acres. This should take me about 4 hours since there is a little back dragging involved and pushing snow to certain parts of the lots at each building. This is just the fronts on the building's and there are some backyards to this place so lets say the place is maybe 5 acres total so that would be 5 hours of plowing correct ? On average that is depending ont he snow dept but in my end of Canada Milton we don't get huge amounts of snow or very frequent events. We Usually have no snow on the ground at X mass except last year when it came on x mass.

I was thinking to either do it with my truck ( would mean i have to get a blade for it ) or rent a bobcat with a pusher on it and a bucket and do it with just that or both. I was however worried that bringing in a bobcat would drive the price up. Bobcat rental for the winter $2,004 us or $2652 CAD a month. The contract i figured would be worth $7,555 US or $10000 CAD season not including salting or extra work.

I don't know how to incorporate a bobcat into the price or if this site is large enough for one, i think it is. Going with the bobcat has its pros and cons such as less wear and tear on my truck can move more snow with the bobcat then my truck and i would then only have to invest in a salter and not salter and blade. I can also use the bobcat to load my salter in my truck then. I want to start out small this year (little investment) and get a few more contracts next year so maybe i will go for the bobcat this year and buy a plow next year and take on more work next year.
    I already have my eye's on some lots i want to do next year.

Avg snow events here 16 times. Avg salt events 20 i say 30 to be safe.

Am i on the right track ? How would you go about it ?
  2. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

That price you have for a bobcat rental seems very high , but thats just for this area , your maybe totally different.
    Just something to look at , right now Bobcat is offering 0% finacing for 12 months , which would be right around the same payment you are talking about , and you would own the machine. I guess it just depends if you can make money with the bobcat year round . They also have .9% for two years which would make your payment almost 1/2 of the rental price .
    At the very least , if you rent or buy ,make sure you get the 2 speed option ....will make a world of difference when you are doing that lot .....just my .02
  3. Winterworks

Winterworks PlowSite.com Veteran

Where did you get that rental price? For a 6 month winter rental you should be paying about $1200 to $1500 per month. Call Hertz or United. That seems like good money for 16 plows at 5 hours per time
  4. EIB

EIB Senior Member

As far as the contract price I would be around 9500.00 US for that lot, plus salt etc.

As far as the bobcat, for three months rent you could have a plow and a salt spreader your truck. The rest of the rent money could go into your pocket, instead of somebody else's, and you own all the equipment. IMO you don't need the bobcat yet.

All that depends on the truck, what is it, will it handle the work. Five hours of work for a truck is nothing, if it's the right one.

If you have to push snow to certain areas, then I would look into a straight blade with wings, or a V plow. The better pick than that would be a blizzard plow. The plow you chose depends on the dealers in you area.

5. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Thanks guys.

The prices i got from battlefield from there pirce list since i havent called them yet. I will Talk with United and Hertz formely matthews. Will United and the others rent you a pusher like a avalange one ? I dont want just a bucket because that would take forever.

My plow of choice which is a Fisher 8 1/2 The salter will be a Fisher or Downeaster. I would buy the fisher salter if i get a packadge deal from the supplier.

I have a fulltime Job and i would have no use for abobcat unless i can put a finishing mower on it and gut grass, but thats a lil expensive and i would go for a Kubota for commercial grass cutting. Thats a whole otehr topic thou.

$5673 Us for the Fisher v blade $4992 us for the Downeaster salter.

Whats a 2 speed bobcat never heard of that before. I have Driven Case, Cat, & Bobcat I like bobcat and Case the Cat takes a lil wile getting used to the joystick control.

Is my contract price to too low for 16 events ? If i have to rent a bobcat for that contract price i would make nothing.
  6. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

almost 9 acres

We will be renting a building in 2004 for 15 years and we plow our own property now and I plan on that i will plow the new site. The almost 9 acres of blacktop include 25 loading docks and employee parking and retail parking....In addition to the 2003 F550 and 2002 F350 I was going to rent a 110hp loader 2.2 yd and purchase a push plow. I can rent the loader for $1400 a month for 4 months and a one time purchase of the pusher for $4000 for a 14 footer. I figure I can save the company $30,000 to $40,000 a season for plowing. I already have the new sander and that would be loaded from the loader. I think this is the way to go.....thoughts?

Craig :rolleyes:
  7. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

My problem is i dont have room to sotre all this stuff. I would love to have a bobcat a loader and all those toys. I tell my parents if i ever win in the lotto i would buy all those machine's, who cares i got money and i love doing what i do. So if i get turned down by some building who cares i dont need them.

I have no other use for any of the machines or attachments when the snow season ends. I have no where to store that stuff and i only plan on takeing on 1 contract this year so i can offset the investment of my blade and salter which will run me $12000 CDN not to menthion my other expenses wear and tear on my truck, Storage in the off season for plow and salter, insurance, computer cell phone, pager, phone line and gas...

Are you sure it wouldnt be cheaper to contract out the work ? I guess if you damadge the building you cant blame anyone but yourself and you wont need commerical insurance unless you decide you wana make a lil money doing that.
  8. BWinkel

BWinkel Senior Member

That price for the Fisher 8.5 v sounds way out of line, so does the salter. Sure you're not talking cdn $?
  9. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Pic of the Lot.

This is what i would have to invest to do this job. Not worth it eh ?

How can i make it worth it and still get this contract ?

Fuel $800.00
    Insurance $5,000.00
    Salter $7,469.25
    Bobcat $8,337.50
    Oil / Lube $60.00
    Maint $1,000.00
    Phone $260.00
    Cell $260.00
    Pager $60.00
    Salt 35 1876.8

Total $26,020 or $19,831.42 USD

10. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

PIC 3 & 4

PART 2

11. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Last building.. Looks like a real treat to me.

12. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

See Pic...

This is what i was hopeing to clear the place with. I think it is allot of work for 1 truck, but with the bobcat i can puch more and save my truck espcially if i have to do the backyards to the places. Allot of pushing i would say the whole place maybe 7 hours ?

The bobcat rental is $8800 CANADIAN for 5 month hopefully with that bucket in the pic here.

Can i justify takeing on this account ? How do i price it.

13. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

looks like it might be more trouble that its worth about the only thing i can suggest is to raise your price a bit or just dont do it... the only other suggestion would be to get more customers to bring in extra income. also i didnt see that you had figured any pay for yourself into the figure asfar as what you get to keep for food and everything else.
  14. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

I dont know what to charge for myself. I charge $30 hr for property maint but i wouldnt do that for $30. Ok maybe $100 - 133 hr yeah but with cost at 26gs and another $80000 thats $34,000 i duno i think thats hight to me but im new to it. I dont know what others charge i hear 1800 to 2000 an hour for the season.
  15. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

One other thing is this too much for 1 plow truck or even a bobcat ? 1 guy me... I was thinking next year going and renting a backhoe and get one of them buckets on it and do larger places. 1st i have to learn to drive a backhoe. :D That night help me.
  16. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

well not being from your area i cant really tell ya what to charge seeing as what i may make an hour down here would probably be different that what you make up there.also as far as figuring making back the whole cost of the spreader back in one year tends to throw figures off as to profit made because if you look at it as making 7469.25 to pay back the spreader thats profit money that you would normally get to keep so more or less what I'm trying to say is that say you figured that you made 2489.75 per year recouped toward the spreader it would pay itself off in 3 years leaving 4975.50 to be kept as living expenses sometimes ya cant figure completely paying for equipment off in one year and still plan to make a hefty profit.
  17. lotsoflights

lotsoflights Member

just a thought...

Not sure if this would help but here it goes....I know a lot of people like to use a Bobcat or something of the same saize. However, it seems to me when I was out pricing rental equipment that the Bobcat was always more money. I was able to rent (US) a Komatsu loader for $1400 a month. That is $7000 for the five months that you are talking. It included 90 hrs of time. Not sure how much you would be using it but for me it is enought it Ct. In most cases the right size pusher will work with a loader even if you went larger down the road i.e a 12 or 14 foot pusher will work with a Bobcat or a larger loader...never limit yourself leave room to get bigger.....just my 2cents..
  18. The Grassman

The Grassman Member

Yeah thats what i fiugred in buying a plow and a salter. I would write it off over a period of say 3 or 4 years. If i go with a plowfor my truck i would be makeing more moeny but i might also pay for that in the end with the strain on it from doing that large work.

I have a idea what i want an hour but dont know if this site is to big for a 3/4 ton p/u with a 8.5 v blade. Some runs are 200+ feet.