1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow tilt problem

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by CharlieE, Jan 5, 2011.

1. CharlieE

CharlieE Junior Member

I have an F250 with a western plow on it. I have been plowing for 3 years now and have hit a problem I have never seen before. My plow will no longer tilt left or right but will go up and down just fine. Also when I try to tilt the plow left it raises the plow then after letting off the button for the left it falls back to the ground. This is when I start with the plow in the float position. If I play with it long enough going up/down and trying to go left/right it will eventually work for a little while then it will just stop wrking again in a little while. It takes longer to get it to work than it does to plow the lots I do. Any thoughts on what it might be and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just replace the coils on the side of the pump. I think there are 3, you just have to look it up and figure out which of the 3 controls the left and right.

3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

you have a sticky valve. more than likely S-3. pull the valve out and shift it with a screwdriver. if it doesn't move freely it will need to be replaced. if it shifts freely check the S-2. the valves are labeled inside the cover.

4. CharlieE

CharlieE Junior Member

I replaced the coils and pulled the valves and cleaned them and now it seems to work fine. There should be snow within the next day or two so I will know for sure if it is fixed after that.

5. CharlieE

CharlieE Junior Member

could the problem be the plug at the grill of my truck? it worked for a little while then stopped working and wouldnt even go up so i unplugged it then pluged it back in and it would go up again but still wouldnt tilt. could that be a bad connection in the plug?

6. ogill2783

ogill2783 Junior Member

try putting a little grease on one end of your plug and hooking it up it may make a better connection.

7. CharlieE

CharlieE Junior Member

I already greased it. The problem seems to be in the plug I replaced the plug that was on the plow side and now there are no problems. I think the pins were just worn and corroded. I had cleaned them but it still wouldnt work right.