1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Theft

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by 68 bullitt, Dec 22, 2004.

1. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

How does one properly secure a plow,specifically a snowbear when it's off the truck?This would apply to any plow.It seems that in Nova Scotia lately, plows are a hot item.Where this plow and gear weigh around 300lbs., 2 burly ,able boys or girls could easily pick up plow and load it on the back of they're pickup and they're away.I have the dolley wheels down with the cotter pins out/ sb300, so that at least they have to drag or lift plow and gear to move it.I have it fastened to my picnic table with a short cable and lock.Any better suggestions, I don't have a garage,only a very small shed.Thank's, 68 Bullitt :gunsfiring:

2. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

I guess plow theft is not an issue in other provinces and states, aren't you lucky! :angel:

3. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

In the past I've chained mine to a tree. A large auger type anchor for staking trees or dog leads could work, but your ground is probably too frozen to get one in now. They make similar items in the motorcycle industry for securing them.

4. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Take an old extension cord and cut the female end off. Strip back 2 or 3" of insulation from one of the wires and atach it to a stake in the ground by the plow. strip some insulation front the other wire and atach it to the plow. no go inside and plug the other end into an outlet. If you feel you need a little more power then wet down the ground around the plow.

Do not try this if there is any chance of a child playing in the area.

Works good for keeping the yellow snow off the side of the plow also

5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Have you actually done this

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

to a car which I was loosing hubcaps off of. it stoped

7. daninline

daninline Senior Member

I like this one till I forget when hooking up :yow!:

I chain my plows together.
    Also I was thinking of welding up a bar that would go into the mounting holes with a lock so they can't just hook up and drive away

How about a portable alarm so if some one grabs it the alarm will go off.
    I have seen these for cars I think it would work for your plow

8. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

You know, if you did it VERY CONSPICUOUSLY, I bet it would work great even without being plugged in. Actually plugging it in would be pretty dumb, IMO.

9. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

padlock through mounting holes, motion lights, vidio camera, string from plow to big toe at night, cover with tarp, chain to any large object, ( put a large rock by it if you have to or old truck) drive stake into ground and atach very large chain so as to look like no one could ever move it. tie big ugley dog to it. atach wife then if it comes up missing it could be a blessing.
    the electric coard was ment to be a joke, but i did use it on the car.

10. Ken1zk

Ken1zk Senior Member

In the summer months I use a storage facility for my plows, it has 24/7 access through a secured gate, I store off season equipment there year round, if I thought I would have a problem with theft thats where my plow would be when it was off of my truck, maybe an option for you ......

11. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Park your truck or another car in front of it if you can. A tarp over it may deter some as it could be a dog house for all they know. Chain it to a tree maybe. You could get a cheap little alarm but that would only work if you are at home. I do what ever i had to do to keep the plow secured and out of sight at all times.

12. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

in all seriousness, just chain it to a tree. If someone's gonna steal it, it's gonna be spur of the moment. Any "pro" who would scope it out and cut chains, etc is gonna know that its value is greatly diminished without the mounts and wiring harnesses, etc. I'd presume your greatest threat would be someone who would say "Hey, a plow!"

I have an 8' Western Poly Pro Ultramount, weighs a ton, so no couple of hoods are gonna load it up and drive off with it. However, any unscrupulous plower with an Ultramount can quietly pull up to my plow and be gone in 30 seconds.

Chain it to something.

13. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

Thank's guys for all your suggestions :salute: Some doughheads in N.S are first stealing the truck that plow is attached to,ditching the truck and taking the plow, and selling hot plow, buyers are getting a deal on a plow and only need the proper mount.Anyways,I am interested in finding out what the bikers use for theft.An eyebolt screwed in to my baby barn with a cable or chain attached would help as well.Keep em coming guys, and Happy Holidays to all and to all a good day eh! :waving:

14. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

Also,a light movable plow like mine with simply a chain attached to it around a solid or heavy object can be undone by going to your local hardware store and purchasing a set of boltcutters.Now what do we do?I like the tarp idea, out of sight , out of mind.Keep em coming guys,68 Bullitt :gunsfiring:

15. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

This may sound silly but most of the other ideas have been exhausted. How about a Dog Run, chain link with a double gate, built to fit the plow. You'd have to have a decent place to set it where you could drive right up to it.

16. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

Now that's an idea,but not enough room.Oh well, if they don't have a boltcutter, it would be funny to see a couple of guys dragging my picnic table and my snowbear plow! :D Better yet, I think we should be asking the criminals,I'm sure they know every trick in the book.. :gunsfiring:

17. one ton dually

one ton dually Member

Chain it.if a theft want's it bad enough they will get no matter what if they want it bad enough.I had a 8ft fisher blade that was taken,and all that was left behind was the chain,and "cut" lock,and the truck that was parked in front of it.Thank god I moved into the country,and now have a little mix hound/cocker spanial, that can hear a fly fart,and he has a big brother a chow,and he is right their when the little dog rais's his ear's.I wouldn't want to be the guy or girl having to deal with them.I also got a shot gun,and a 4wd.

18. daninline

daninline Senior Member

My puppy will stop them if they mess with anything in the yard.
    This is the guys left leg who tried to come into the yard and take stuff last time :) :dizzy:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2004
  19. 68 bullitt

68 bullitt Member

Heck yes, he wouldn't even have to bite,I bet he/she is a real ***** cat to the "Friendly's"Loyalty for life,now that's a true marriage. :drinkup:

20. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I would ave never thought snowbear plow theft would be such a big problem :rolleyes: