1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow swap

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by willie dexter, Dec 14, 2006.

1. willie dexter

willie dexter Member

how hard would it be to swap a western plow from one truck to another? is it something i can do myself or should it be done by a installer? i am talking about the mounting hardware.
  2. rayf268

rayf268 Senior Member

I had a buddy help with mine . It took a few Beer drinking hours. I would get a install print from the western site and take a look and see if it something you want to tackle.
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It depends on how handy you are and what tools you have to use. If you have air tools and a torch to use, you can do it yourself.Most old bolts will be rusted bad,so you need to have air tools to get them loose. If real bad go to the torch / flame wrench. Then you need the knowledge to wire it. You need to use grade 8 bolts to install the plow frame on the new truck. Buy them at a fastener place, the plow manufacturer will rape you for the bolts.
    feel free to ask questions,we will help you out.
  4. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Plow install

I have found to do a good job an install typically takes about six hours with help. This does not include any repairs or trouble shooting on a used plow.
    Just did a Curtis on a Super Duty yesterday, ran closer to seven hours, trying to find a key powered source without cutting wasn't easy, lol

To remove a plow I'd probably say about 3-4 hours, being very careful especially if your using a flame wrench! Always have a buddy work with you , keep an extinguisher within a arm's reach away.