1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow swap

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by anotherlawnguy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. anotherlawnguy

anotherlawnguy Junior Member

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if a western plow from a 89 f350 would mount to a 97 dodge 2500? Thanks a lot

2. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

The plow will....EVERYthing on the truck side wont except controller and power ground and motor relay

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

These two vehicles are not even close as far as mounts and headlight harnesses go. If it has an isolation module it may be usable but this will have to be verified using the "quick match" feature on the Western website. If you pay a dealer to do it they will probably charge for about four hours work and expect around $1000 for mount and cables. It won't be cheap.

Also consider that regardless of what model and year the truck is, that the plow came off of, that the plow may be much older so there may be other problems. You need to identify the plow, is it a unimount or ultramount, is is a V plow or straight blade, does it have a two or three cable hookup?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. anotherlawnguy

all i know about the mount is it goes behind the bumper. The pump had a positive and negative cable and 2 cables going into the side.( new to plowing so dont know a lot) Might just keep it on here. Is there a way to test the pump? I doubled and tripped check for shorts but, when i go to move the plow light go really dim and truck shuts off. And positive going to pump was very hot. New 880 cca battery and i believe 125 amp alternator. I dont hear the pump working at all. Any ideas? Thanks

5. mishnick

If the cable gets hot and the vehicle dies then there is a massive current draw. One of two things wrong... Possible the main power cable is connected backwards (that could be at the plow motor, at the grill plug or under the hood) which would be a good thing as is is easily and cheaply corrected. The alternative is that your plow motor is cooked and you need to buy & install a new one. Problem is that there may be other problems too and this could be the beginning of a money pit. At our shop people often bring in old rigs and have us check them over. We charge one hour, most people do this before buying but all too often people buy things at auction thinking they are getting a good deal only to find out there was a reason they were at the auction in the first place. Consider taking it to a dealer and have is inspected before you start putting money into parts.

6. anotherlawnguy

ok great thanks. I came with the truck when i bought it. Ill look around for a shop. I noticed the positive post coming our of the pump is lose.

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

Take a 12 volt tester to the hot post of the motor and hit the up button and have someone watch the tester if it light s up and the motor doesn't spin your motor is shot. If nothing check the other wire and see if it is hot if it is it would be wired back wards. If ti is wired right you can always hook jumper cables up the battery and then the motor and if it doesn't spin then for sure it is your motor.

8. anotherlawnguy

motor does not spin. How much do you think it will cost to rebuild?

9. mishnick

Don''t bother with the rebuild, just go to a Western dealer and buy one. About $100, maybe $200.

10. anotherlawnguy

o wow. I was thinking a lot more. I will do that. Thanks.

11. JD822

JD822 Member

I would also just buy a replacement. You can also look online for them and they might be a bit less then your local dealer. Depending on your hydraulic setup depends on your motor. The motor will have either a part # stamped into or a label somewhere. CPW is a good place for replacement parts at a reasonable price. They list replacements motors for $98.78 for the new style or old style. But just make sure you have the correct replacement. Here is the link to CPW and the motors they carry for Westerns:

http://centralparts.com/accessories/electric-motors/western-electric-motors/

You might find them less somewhere else online also. But there are advantages of buying it from the local guys. One being you get the right motor! Thumbs Up