1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow suggetion for 1998 Suburban

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawnkid, Jun 30, 2003.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Hey guys, how's everyone doing? It's been a while but I have a question and I need your advice on something. Okay, my boss currently has a 1990 Chevy Suburban 1500 4x4 that he plows with. Within the next few weeks, he will be getting rid of that truck and he will be getting hhis wife's 1998 Chevy Suburban. Same as the 1990 but newer model so it has 4 wheel drive and all. Anyway, he will be installing a plow on this Suburban and he was asking for help in his decision. He was told by a dealer that Curtis was the best plow for this truck because it has the easiest hookup but I don't know much about Curtis. He wants to have a 7 1/2 ' plow but if he could go 8 that would be good too. Does anyone have a truck similar to this one or if any of you would know what kind of plow to put on it, I would appreciate it.

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

I would say a 8ft fisher mm2 would work just fine on that truck. What kind of plow does he have on his 1990 suburban? He might also want to look into a down pressure plow like boss and snoway.

:cool:

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Since the trucks are virtually the same,why not transfer his current plow ?

If he's looking at a new one,then any 7.5-8 ft plow will work.Snoway has the downpressure system,and is lighter than most others.My choice would also be based on what kind of dealer support is available in your area,in case he needs service or repairs.

4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Id stick with the 7.5' if its a 1500 like his old one was. You could go with the Fisher RD plow or a Western Pro Plow also as choices. What kind of plow did he have in the past? Maybe he can remount that one on the newer model? Mike :waving:

5. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that he has a Western 7 1/2' unimont conventional on his 1990 suburban

6. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I think that something like Fisher 7.5' RD plow would be sufficient for this vehicle.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

Then I'd just keep his Western 7.5

The Uni-mount is plenty strong,and a breeze to hook up,so why waste more money on a new one,unless his old one is beat.It's a straight bolt on swap.

8. johngus

johngus Senior Member

I'm currently plowing with a 99 2500 suburban.It has a 7.5 meyer.the truck plows like crazy but I really need a 8 foot plow because if the snow is deep you'll be driving through the edge with the plow angled.

9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Id say for weight concerns since its only a 1500 Suburban that a 7.5 Fisher or Western blade. I see alot of Suburbans up here with that setup.

Jay

10. ToyotaPower

ToyotaPower Senior Member

1998 Sururban here...

I have a 1998 2500 sururban with a 7.5 meyers plow on it. I have no trouble in plowing snow with it. It's a pleasure to be driving a truck like that when it snows...

I think you should just move the western plow over to the newer sururban depending on the money situation and the support plow brand in your area.

Good lucky...

11. nor'easter1

nor'easter1 Senior Member

iI USE A 1996 CHEVY TAHOE TO PLOW UP HERE. i HAVE DONE ALOT OF MODEFYING SINCE IT WAS NEW. TIMBREN SPRINGS ON THE FRONT AND HEAVY DUTY BILSTIEN SHOCKS. IT PLOWS ALOT OF DRIVEWAYS WITH A MINUTE MOUNT 71/2 FISHER. CAN'T BEAT THE COMFORT AND WORKABILITY OF THIS TRUCK. THE THREE THINGS THAT I RECOMEND DOING ARE TIMBRENS, HEAVY PLY TIRES I THINK I HAVE MASTER CRAFT YOU CANT PUT A NAIL THROUGH THEM, AND THIRD MOST IMPORTANT PUT ON EXTRA BACK UP LIGHTS OF THE BACK BUMPER. YOU NEED THE ADDED VISABILITY DURING STORMS TO SEE OUT THE BACK OR USING THE MIRORS AND THE STOCK ONES ARE OF LITTLE HELP. HOPE THIS HELPS