1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow suggestions

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by peconicwaters, Jan 18, 2009.

1. peconicwaters

peconicwaters Junior Member
    from L.I N.Y

I traded my old truck in and ended up buying an 07 GMC regular cab dually. I Decided rather than shelling out the $4,000 or so on a new fisher I would keep my old one and mount it on the dually. The plow is a couple year old 7 1/2' MM2.Everything mounted the same seeing how my old truck was and 05 chevy.
    I had pro wings that i never put on so I mounted them to give me the extra width needed.I am now trying to decide what to upgrade it to,the current setup works ok but I don't think its a permanent solution. I thought about just changing the moldboard to a 9', but a guy I know that works for the town garage says it is going to be to big for the truck.He is pretty knowledgable but I am not sure I agree with him.
    I am also thinking of adding another truck for next year so may consider saving the current plow setup for the future truck rather than just changing the moldboard.Sorry for the drawn out post but my question is basically what do you guys think is the best setup: 9' ?,8'6"? Xblade? xls? etc...:confused:

2. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD Senior Member

everyone will have a different opinion on what blade is best. i feel it's all in personal preference what you like. 9 foot straight blades can be too big for most driveways but just to see if the truck can handle it go onto the fisher site and do the exact match or whatever they call it. that could possibly narrow it down for you. good luck:salute:

3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Depends what you are plowing. Skynard is right- 9 foot is almost always too big for driveways, but 8'6"-9' is right for a 1 ton dually for commercial and other stuff. Then again, Duallys are tough in driveways in general anyway.
    You want a blade long enough to clear BOTH outside rear tires when fully angled so you're always driving on plowed surface- usually a dually needs 9 footer, but 8'6 will manage.

4. winged1dur

winged1dur Senior Member

No offense to the guys who love their straight blades but after using my XtremeV for three seasons now I would never buy another straight blade again.
    I would suggest a 9'2" or 9'6" v plow if you plan on just doing driveways. If you are going to plow parking lots an 8' or 8'6" expanding plow is better suited. Either of these options will set you back at least 5-6K (new) so if that's not an option for you get 9' straight blade and save the 7'6" for a smaller future truck to do the tight space jobs.

5. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

I think the type of plow you want depends on the type of plowing you are going to do like the other said a dually may be a bit big for most driveways anyhow.

9' stright will be fine on a 1 ton truck my father in law runs one on his 2500hd and I think it may be lighter then my 8'6" EZ V.

6. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

If your interested I have a 8' 6" Mold Board that needs a trip edge and some paint, it's straight, but The last guy just went a bit too far. $125, yup $125 there is no a-frame and it's the new version with the high or long pin mount. So for under $700 for a recond 8'6" mold board and can switch back and forth anytime you felt the need. I do have all the trip springs which will go with the plow for addition $35

call me at 508 753 6617, once your off the ferry , your less than an hour from me up here in Central Mass

[​IMG]

7. peconicwaters

from L.I N.Y

Thanks everyone,I think i am gonna go with a straight blade,just not sure what yet. Nascar i will give you a call tomorrow.

8. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Nice talking to you! Look forward to see pictures of the back side of your present blade.

jay

9. peconicwaters

from L.I N.Y

Nascar, here are the pictures you asked for hope they help. If its easier you can give me a call, 631-680-4066.

Kris

plow 001.jpg

plow 002.jpg

plow 003.jpg

10. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Kris it was nice to meet you and I hope you had a safe ride back to the island!

Thanks again

Jay

11. peconicwaters

from L.I N.Y

Jay,

Thanks again,I will post some pictures once its all done.It was a pleasure meeting you.

Kris

12. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Peconic- Check the metal loop thats welded underneath the triangular lift arm- Move the connection over to one side and inspect. The metal wears thru. Fisher changed the design and I think they will replace it at N/C.

13. peconicwaters

from L.I N.Y

I checked this morning,looks pretty worn out.Thanks for the advice.