1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow suggestions

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by CAT MAN, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

ok guys im new here to plowsite.. I just bought a 2004 Dodge 3500 cummins dually.. and would like to get a plow for it not sure if i should go V-plow or straight blade.. Im sure i want a 9.2ft plow this is what me and my uncle use on his truck.. any suggestions???

2. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

What kind of plowing are you doing? Resi or commercial?

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway Mega Vee with a set of scoop wings. IMO

4. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Boss 9'2" V-XT without a doubt!!!!

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Excellent choice here

6. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

well i will plow my driveway and a few neigbers we also plow 3 developments aswell.. Id like to stick with a boss plow myself personaly I think there the best.. I love the new V-xt plow looks killer and here great things about them.. Im worryed about my frame getting riped off from the cummins under the hood I read some things on that with the 2500's but mines a 3500 dually not sure if that makes a big difference or anything.. How much would the 9.2ft V-XT cost im thinking around $5500-6000

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Even if you do get a Vee, which is what I would do, it doesn't have to be a XT V. But Def. get the 9'2''. and maybe a set of wings when you start to get more accounts. You've got plenty of truck to be able to handle that size plow.

8. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

next question poly or steel??

9. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

surprisingly enough, poly are heavier then steel , I'd go steel:nod:

10. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

dam I would think poly would be lighter.. I was looking at the snow ways they seem to be really nice plows.. would they be about the same price as the boss Vploe??

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If this plow is for the truck in your aviator CAT your going to need a custom fabricated mount in order to get the mount low enough for the plow to work correctly. :salute:

12. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

The truck aint lifted B&B its just has a level kit on it.. looks tall cause of the tires and wheels.. I was also looking at a Boss super duty straight blade 9ft with side wing's any thoughts????

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

May not be lifted CAT but with those 22.5 (or) 24.5 wheels and tires it's gotta be a lot higher off the ground than stock so I doubt you have nearly enough adjustment in the stock Boss mount to accommodate the height. The mount only has enough adjustment in it for a stock height truck.

15. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Yea, my dodge has a 2" level kit and my mount sits about 1" higher then what BOSS recommends. However if you run a straight blade, you will be fine.

16. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

so if i run a straight balde i will be ok with ground height??

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Depends on where the stock Boss mount ends up in relation to the ground..it need to be about 15"-16" from the ground to the pin mounting holes...the higher than that spec it is, the worse the blade pitch to the ground will be.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The end result will be:) wear edge.

the geometry will be off, the forward edge will dig in when the pllow is angled.:nod: As long as you plow with the blade straight you'll be fine:rolleyes:

19. CAT MAN

CAT MAN Member
    from county

Hmm sounds like Im screwed if i put a plow on...

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Throw a set of stock wheels and tires on it for plowing purposes.

Nobody will be checking out your wheels in the snow.