1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow suggestions...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by fiveoboy01, Aug 21, 2006.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 Senior Member

Hi, new member here. Ive actually been a member of lawnsite.com for a while now and its helped me tremendously with my lawn service business.

I've already recieved a couple bid packets from property management companies and I'll be placing bids here soon.

I'm looking on very general advice on plows. Basically what features I should be looking for, and the most preferable size. Really the only thing I'm set on at this point is it's going to be a V-plow. I'm leaning towards a Western or Boss V-plow at this point, but I am open to suggestions. I don't necessarily want brand advice, because as everyone knows, it's like a Ford vs. Chevy thing.

I simply want to know what to look for when buying a plow, and I'll do my own research on the different brands.

FWIW, the truck used will be an F-250, 99-02 or 03, with a 5.4 or V-10. Mostly commercial plow work.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2006
  2. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

8.5' western MVP Plus Or the Fisher X blade V. (same plow mostly, different paint) No questions asked. Its the only V-blade that can trip if you hit something in any mode, striaht, V or scoop. Can't do that with any other plow.

Since you aren't buy a diesel you could get a way with a 9.5' version. But your better off getting a 7.3 diesel and the 8.5' V-plow. The 5.4 V8 runs out of power to quick when it comes to pushing a big blade threw deep snow. The V10 does just find. But there goes all the profit in fuel money.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What type of plowing do you intend to do.
    Roads, drives, lots.

A trip edge is one option but if you encounter an object over 8inches hight your going to have a problem with the trip edge plow. They work best for plowing roads where you don't encounter any obstacles. If you in tend to do drives and lots then a full trip may be the best choice for you.