1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow sucks a lot of juice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PreFabber, Jan 30, 2005.

1. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

when i lift my plow or even angle it, my lights dim significantly, my blower motor for the heater slows a ton, and my beacon rpm drops a lot too. obviously there is a large draw on the system from the plow. i had the original stock (105 amp) alternator tested and it was perfect. the guy even said that this alternator should be just fine for plowing. i have the dual batteries because of the diesel to start with and they're of considerable size. i can't think of the cca on them off the top of my head, but believe it's 850cca. my question is, do you guys experience this with your trucks, if you do or have what is the remedy. i have cleaned the connections for the plow very well and also added some corrosive preventor to the connections. the truck is a 98 k2500 with the 6.5 diesel. thanks in advance for any replies.

2. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

Tighten your ground wires and if that don't work add another ground wire off the plow motor.It's a bad ground problem your having.
    Good luck on it.
    Brent

3. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

should it be grounded to the battery or to the frame of the truck or the engine

4. wickedcarpenter

wickedcarpenter Member

I'd run one to the frame.

5. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

i'll give that a try, thanks for the help wickedcarpenter

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

How old are the batteries?

7. PreFabber

PreFabber Member
    from SE PA

one is only a few months, the other is about 2.5 years. both are matching AC Delco

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Have you load tested them seperately?

2.5 years on an AC Delco is a scarey thought! They should ideally be of the same age and build date.

Disconnect both and load test them individually.

9. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

Ground

Try running a battery cable size ground wire from the battery (or the battery ground wire location) to the point where you have the ground wire for the plow, don't rely on steel frame to do the job of copper.Most everybody ignores the ground side of a circuit, 75% of problems can be traced to ground. Also, grease in, on, and around the connections. Where grease is, water isn't.

10. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I don't know much aout the boss plows, but a motor that has bad bushings will draw extra juice, as in a bad starter. That motor looks similar to one on a preluber. If after trying the above suggestions on grounds and connections, you still have problems, take a look at the motor. Water/condensation can rust the shaft, then wear out the bushings quickly. Have you noticed more noise than usual from it. If so, I'd guess you need to rebuilt or replace the motor.