1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Stuck down (What happened)

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by Mow It All, Jan 29, 2007.

1. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

I was out plowing today and caught a manhole cover. the plow tripped and went down (flipped) It got stuck and I couldnt get it back up. There are 2 metal plates welded that are suppsed to stop it, well what happened is the plow went down past them and it prevented it from flipping back up. I had to drive home like that and take the thing apart to get it back upright. Is there something to stop it, or can I just take those stops out......i can take pictures of the "STOPS" if you dont know what I meen

2. Whip

Whip Member

So the plow tripped forward and stayed there?
    What size plow?
    What did you "take apart" to get it back?
    Don't know what these "stops" are that you mention. Mine would stop when the back-bottom of the plow hits the front angle cylinder mounts but that's about it.
    It kinda sounds like your pivot pins are worn or rusting solid. How much difficulty is there to getting it back upright using whatever method you are using?

3. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

on the mount for that truck there is no factory stop to prevent the plow from triping its going to go forward but you must have to much speed to trip it that much. Your pins might be froz.

plow.jpg

4. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

The pins are in perfect shape. If you look at the picture where the V shaped arrows are thats where these "stops" (dont know what they are) are located. there just 2 peices of metal welded in there. To free the plow I had to lossen the springs, then pull the pints, and pry it with 2 prybars, then hold both bars and have my GF slide the pins back in. It was a nightmare....Ill take a picture tomm to see what you guys thing, please check back cause it worries me.......thanks guys

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

fernalddude
    How's the Bronco II's holding up ? Do you put bigger alternators on them?
    I am seeing a lot more of them around here with plows on them.

6. StorksAuto

StorksAuto Senior Member

Ok the stops need to be there they keep the blade from coming back to far. When it stays front like rthat it is cause something is warn either the pins or the pin holes or it could be the blade or sector. We allways just look where it is warn and many times weld a plate in there to prevent it from being able to got to that point.

If you email me some good pictured I can try to help
    storksauto@aol.com

7. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

Funny, I bought my plow from you. I was the white dodge ram that drove from jersey to get it....I called you yesterday about a leaking fitting. Well I caught a man hole cover and it went all the way down and got stuck there. I had to take the 2 pins out, the spings off, and then pry it with a bar to get it back upright. Is there an easier way to do it?? I was actually going to make another post but I was leaking fluid pretty bad and dont know where to fill it and what fluid to use....thanks alot

I would highly recomend Storks for buying a plow, very fair price, I actually drove 3 hrs cause of the savings!!!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Anybody else has this problem be extremely careful with it.

If your close to it when it decides to come back upright it could do serious damage to you. It would no doubt ruin your day.
    I would even sacrifice the springs and cut them from the mold board side before I did anything to the blade. The springs would be toast anyway being extended that long.
    Better to buy $30 in springs then 6 weeks in a cast.

9. sefh

sefh Senior Member

I agree on that..... I think I would have hit a tree or something to try to push it back before I would have taken off the springs while being loaded.

10. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

I put it up against a concrete wall and it wouldnt flip.......I hit that same wall at about 4mph and nothing. When i took the springs off I adjusted them all the way down and then used a coil spring compressor to stop them from snapping.......