1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Strobe Lenses

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Santo, Sep 27, 2003.

1. Santo

Santo Banned

What color do you like to run?

How many (front) & or (rear)?

Location ? (Self contained or Hideaways)

What power pack (brand) do you use?

What Pattern?

Have Picture?
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  2. Santo

Santo Banned

Grill......I think they are too far in, I may bring them to flush for the full spray. Just put these new micro's in this morning. Ill have to wait till this evening.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2003
  3. Santo

Santo Banned

no strobe users?
  4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i have a whelen hideaway system with four strobe heads, all amber. i also have a LED slimlighter that goes on the dash.
  5. duke

duke Junior Member

I run the Whelen 690, (6 head 90 watt) clear all the way around. I'm quite happy!!
  6. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I'm running a whelen 8 stobe bar rear and ally work lights 4 clear hid-a-ways 90 watt power supply in the turn signals .
  7. wyldman

wyldman Member

We use Grote (rebadged Nova) 6 head strobe units with bulbs mounted in the front marker lamps,and reverse lamps.Having separate controls to turn off the front strobes are nice.Hi\Low power is nice too,as they are really bright at night.Quad flash is my favorite pattern.
  8. Santo

Santo Banned

Big coin for them bars, huh?
  9. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

It was about $800 from galls and the 90 watt power supply and the four clear hid-a-ways ran about $159.
  10. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

i have nova 90 watt 4 bulb hideaways 2 in front 2 in back amber in color plenty bright
  11. chris k

chris k Senior Member

Six whelen hideaways- 2 up front,4 in the rear. Whelen 9308 8 strobe with rear flashers, alleys and takedowns that flash.
  12. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

where did you get thoes from?? i want to do somthing like that too and how much was it?
  13. wyldman

wyldman Member

I bought them from a local towing supply store.They were about $450.00 CDN for the power supply,and six hide-a-strobe bulbs.I built my own switch units to control all the functions\patterns.We have the Superpak 906's in most of the trucks.90 Watts X 6 outputs.

There are quite a few good online strobe places that you could get them from cheaper.Here's one

Strobes N More
  14. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Not meaning to bash anyone, but I did not have good experience with the dealer Wyldman just gave a link on. While that dealer does ship out the order in a timely manner and in good condition, the problem is that he does not know much about the product he is selling. Alot of times when I emailed him to ask him some questions, he would only give me one or two sentences answer, and not answering all my questions.

So I tried out this dealer: www.strobesupply.com - Nancy is the dealer and I have been having much better luck with her. She got my order sent out promptly, answered all my questions in timely fashion, and the price is pretty good. Shipping charge is very fair to me. Nothing to complain about. I know that several other members on this site has ordered through her and am very satisfied. :)
  15. wyldman

wyldman Member

I did not order from them,but at the time they seemed the most knowledgable on the Nova units,and were quite helpful in answering all my questions.

I didn't really post the link as a recommendation to buy from them,just to give more information and a basic idea on price.
  16. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I have a Whelen 90watt power pack capable of running 6 strobes but due to lens size of my truck I only run four. 2 red in the rear tail lights and 2 clear in the front running lights. They are on 2 different switches. I also have a magnet amber strobe for the roof.

17. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

In New York we are supposed to use amber only. Red to the rear is not specifically illegal, but I think it is confusing to other motorists. Red or clear to the front is exclusively for "authorized emergency vehicles" Everyone associates amber as a work truck or highway truck. Around my area everyone uses amber. I prefer roof mounted lights as I feel they are more visible around higher snowbanks, etc.
  18. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

In connecticut we are supposed to use amber.. Red and blue is for emergency vehicals and volunteer firefighters,you need a special permit.I have seen some landscape companys that have their red brake lights flashing and the cops didnt seem to mind dont know if its allowed or the cops just dont enforce it much.
  19. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

12 head Nova unit with hide aways using Dutsch ( s.p.) vs amp connectors. Allows for sealed connection at the bulb.

Amber headlights, 1 Clear in each of the tail lights to make red flash brighter, clear in Center High mounted light, clear in the 5 amber clearance lights on the roof. Working on tube strobes in the skull caps of the new towing mirrors with the turn/run light combo.

Head lights / tail lights on one switch w/ high/low

CHML front center clearance and Mirrors on one switch

Outer and Inner Clearance on one switch to alt from outside to inside. When the CHML and center are on the center and outside flash at the same time on most patterns

Run Double or Quad pattern mostly. Selector switch will allow to run combo patterns where one switch is in one pattern mode and the other switches run different modes.

Picts --- Looks like any other F350 except for the melting clearance lights from leaving them on in the summer at a show. Ordered new covers for fall.

20. Santo

Santo Banned

Police cannot issue a citation on private property for running strobes.