1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow storage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMan4U, Mar 11, 2006.

1. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

Well. looks like the season is all but over. I bought a new Boss plow this year and only had 20 accounts for my first year. Having said that, I ddn't use it too much. Any tips on storage? To cover or not to cover? Hyd Fluid? Does it need to be changed now, or later? Presure wash it?:salute:

2. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Wash it up get all the salt and any other dirt off of it. Paint all the spots that could rust that got scratched or chipped. If your storing it outside cover it with something that breathes like a grill cover, if inside cover it with an old sheet to keep the dust off.
    Change the fluid in the fall before the season so it is fresh, no sense changing it now for it to sit around.

Good Luck, I washed mine and stuck it in the corner today, even cleaned off my spreader. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the left over sand salt.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I got stuck with 125 bags of salt last year:cry: This year I have about 10 left and I think I will be able to use them up this Wednesday:D

Like said above, Wash everything good, paint the rust spots, FluidFilm any none painted steel or moving parts, and cover it. In the fall have the fluids changed.

4. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Yea bags I wouldn't mind, this is bulk sand salt that I dumped in my shop for emergency conditions and figured I could use it this month but with it being 50's I think I won't have another chance. They say some snow next week but I think it won't stick!
    ohh well. I have holes to fill next to my shop

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

If I read correctly, Western now recommends a fluid change at the end of the season.

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

bags bags bags

grn I got over 500 bags out there in the field grrrrrrrrrr but its in the bins so I wont have to buy much at the start of next year. So on storage iam going to use plastic skids to store some of the plows the rest will be on the rigs packed away till the cold comes back. Flush, fill, remove, paint, repair, clean, seal, cover, in the spring so i can refurb 2 of the other b2's rust never sleeps..

7. Grn Mtn

Of course they dopayup

although one has to have a season in the first place:dizzy:

8. Grn Mtn

your kidding about putting the salt/sand mix on the lawn right:confused:

How much is it anyways 1 yard? Can you put it in some big totes or barrels? Or you could help out the DPW and spread some down the road:eek: :D

9. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

barrels

For storrage of salt/sand, the 55 gallon barrels are great.Even if the stuff is in bags, the salt gets compacted to a block by next year.Empty the bags to the barrels.Barrels are also better to look at then 150 bags or a pile.

10. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

I am joking, I have 2 large barrels, It is about a yard. I would never waste it, I am too tight with stuff I buy, I never throw anything out or waste anything. There isn't really a lawn next to my shop just a gravel pit!

11. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

I dumped my last 7 bags in a dumpster on one of our sites, I hate storeing bags for next season. They were on the truck from our last event, figured get em out of here. It cost money to move em, again and again, and again.
    Next season start off with a couple of fresh skids, hopefully Magic payup
    Todd

12. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 pallets of de-icer (or 145 bags) left over this year. I always power wash everything after EVERY use. This prevents alot of premature rust.:cool:

13. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Why not just move the pile outside and recover it until next winter !
    I bought and hauled in 50 yrds of just sand 3 wks ago and probably will be sitting on it come next winter, I cover it with a brown tarp so that it kind of blends in with the surroundings. :cool:

14. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Anybody that comes my way can sell their leftover bags to me...I am generously paying a brand new, crisp, clean dollar bill for each bag! :nod:

15. HIGHWAYMAN

HIGHWAYMAN Member

leftover materal is a pain.some of the guys around here ask d.p.w. if they can dump what is left in there pile. it hurts to have leftover salt/sand its a real pain tripping over it all summer. just a thought.