1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow Storage

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by RUJusten, Mar 12, 2014.

1. RUJusten

RUJusten Member
    from VA

I've read a lot of threads on plow storage, but I was wondering - has anyone ever had their plow shrink wrapped? I use this method when winterizing my boat and I was wondering if it would work for a plow. Grease everything, lube everything, cover in Fluid Film, have the whole thing shrink wrapped and strap to a pallet. Thoughts?
  2. hansenslawncare

hansenslawncare Senior Member

Interesting...seems like a viable option. Let us know how it turns out, and if so the cost.
  3. myzx6

myzx6 Member

I know fisher recommends not covering motor and pump because you will have a lot of condensation build up, shrink wrap would have the same results, I would think
  4. RUJusten

RUJusten Member
    from VA

Def a good point. I'd like to get everyone's input and see what they think or if it has been done before by anyone on the site.
  5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Yeah I wouldn't do it
  6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I know when boats are shrink wrapped the put vents in the shrink wrap and desiccant packets on the boat. If you have to store outdoors I think this may be the best option if these two items are used along with the shrink wrap.
  7. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Throw it outside behind the shed and be done with it. Why bother covering it?
  8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

9. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I store mine as follows:

Power wash, fluid film, leave it in a corner of our yard till next fall. Might look at it if I happen to drive by it or use it to hold my beer.
  10. Pit Crew

Pit Crew Senior Member

Leaving them outside is why they look 10 years old when they are only three. I put it on a dolly and push to the back of the shop or garage.
  11. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Yup, and the sun and weather beats on the hoses. I do the same as you Pit. Strapped to three small furniture dollies, and rolled into the garage. Nice and safe.
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I sell mine off. Next problem
  13. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

XX2 wash, fluid film and in the garage.
  14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if you stored your boat inside you would not need to shrink wrap it!
  16. kimber750

I put a tarp over the boat canvas because the dust gets into it and causes black streaks on the the sides of the boat during the summer.

I agree indoors is the best place to store a plow but not everyone has that luxury.
  17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

So u use the boat in the winter?
  18. kimber750

No, it is stored indoors. Canvas cover with a tarp to keep dirt out of the canvas. Sits in the water all summer.
  19. gasjr4wd

gasjr4wd Senior Member

Oh great. guess I need to build a garage now... :dizzy:
    got two plows but no garage... no way anything would fit in my small shed.
    Whats wrong with just using a tarp or something? I would be interested in ideas. I just stick my first plow in the yard... yes, the hoses look like crap.
    Any ideas for outdoor storage?
  20. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I spray the plow with FF or WD40 and put it on a pallet. I build an A frame out of 2X4 and put the tarp on the A frame and put the A frame over the palleted plow. Keeps rain off, is open on the ends for air to circulate (no condensation).