1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow storage in the off-season

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by matstang, Sep 11, 2011.

1. matstang

matstang Member

Ok so I know the snow is coming soon, but I've finally been able to take a breath and focus on a few other things (life has been very hectic with a new baby!). I have a cycle country plow that I'd like to store by hanging it up close to the ceiling in the garage. I have a tall garage (12 feet), and I'd like to get this plow off the ground to maximize my space. Obviously I'd have to utilitize the rafters above so I'd be accessing the attic area above the garage. Any ideas? Anyone done it using the winch of the atv (at least just to get it up there...)?
  2. Calheavyrigger

Calheavyrigger Junior Member

Just be aware that putting a concentrated load like that on the joists could cause a problem. Better choice is to put it outside.
  3. matstang

matstang Member

What problem could it cause? I've used these same joists to successfully and safely pull a 360 out of my old ford. I believe that weighs a bit more than my plow. I'm in the atv forum right? Even so I'm hoping to distribute the weight over several rafters. Guess I'm looking for anyone whose done it and got a system figured out on it!
  4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Wheeler plows aren't very heavy, I've put more weight than a wheeler plow just in boxes full of stuff up in the rafters without issue.

A simple pulley with a cable is all you need. You could use the winch on the ATV to pull it up, or just double up pulleys and pull it up by hand and tie the rope off to the wall.
  5. matstang

matstang Member

That sounds like what I'm looking for. I will have to do some experimenting to see what will work best. I will be sure to update/post back-hopefully with my successes!
  6. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

A chain hoist works great to get it up there and then tie it off....

Have you seen these? They can be used as a pulley and very simple to use!

Check out the video here

The World's Easiest Tie Down!

• 3/8" Tie Boss Strap - 10' of solid, polypropylene rope - 275lb. Load Limit
    • Secure Cargo in cars, trucks, trailers, etc.
    • Tie down tarps, tents, etc.
    • Secure bundles on wheelbarrows & dollys
    • Perfect for camping, hunting, powersports, moving and general use
    • Easy, one handed operation
    • Use two straps together to create a simple pulley
    • 5 Year Manufacturers Warranty

Click Here to buy

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  8. gbtl

gbtl Member

just secure it very good. falling from 12 feet would harm/kill someone.
  9. outdoorfan

outdoorfan Member

Just saw this thread. I use a 4x4x"whatever length is necessary" across four of those rafters to distribute the heavy loads better (ie...pulling an engine, etc). I would never rely on just one to pull a 360, but that's just me.

Forgot to add that I then use a well secured eye bolt through that 4x4, which then does the hoisting.
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011