1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Plow storage in the off season...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TurfPlow, Feb 3, 2011.

1. TurfPlow

TurfPlow Junior Member

Does anybody have any ideas about plow storage in the off season? I am looking for ideas on space saving, easy mobility, etc. Thanks in advance.

2. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Well you cant fold them up so where do you have the most room to put it? Shelving if it is strong enough and you can get the plow up on it, etc. Put it outside side with a tarp over it. Only issue with that is they can get weathered still so spray it down with WD40 or similar product.

As far as moving it around they make plow dollys or I have used snowmobile movers.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I just sell them at the end of each year and buy new ones come fall. Saves me space and I always have new plows the next year.

4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

I dismount mine outside and use Bobcat to store it at one end of a barn. If you can I think you'll have less problems stored out of the elements.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

snowmobile dollies work great if you have a cement floor in your shop

6. Burkartsplow

and furniture dollies from HD or Lowes work great also. They are cheap, or you can build some of your own.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

seen one guy with overseas shipping tub store them on top all lined up for the summer. used a fork lift or bucket loader to lift them up.

i know you prob dont have these but idea for others. off the ground / basicly dry up there in the sun / vary vary hard for someone to steal them from you in the off season also. unless the truck has a MASIVE lift kit to reach that high. :laughing:

8. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

i spray mine with fluid film and put them on furniture dollies from harbor freight that way i can move it around in the garage!

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I keep mine inside out of the sun and rain, on a pallet sprayed with PB blaster and covered with a tarp.

10. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

There's always that haha Thumbs Up

11. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

outside to bask in the sun for the summer

12. Burkartsplow

I was just playing around, but I am sure there is someone out there that does this.

13. sweetk30

bad idea.

you ever do the pb blaster test for rusting after so long? and or read the can. its not designed for a lube or long term use.

it will rust stuff up faster as its a catilist.

wd-40 would be 10x better as it was designed as a water replent for the airplane industry years ago.

14. joshg

joshg Senior Member
    from VT

I bought a set of snowmobile dollies from Northern Tool. They work well on my concrete garage floor, but the casters are not great...if they fail I'd get something more rugged. In addition I need to make a saddle to work better on on support the frame.

For the price though in combo with a floor jack the dollies are working well for me.

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I grease the Rams, I put it on a pallet to keep it off the ground, put a large piece of plywood on top of the plow to keep the rain off and let the air blow through. Tarps seem to cause condensation and rust.
    A friend of mine just puts his in the woods to be out of the way but nothing ever drys in a woods as there is very little wind and too much shade.

16. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

I have a Diamond MDII. I disconnect my blade, put that on top of the shipping container at my friends shop, then unbolt the wings that the lights bolt to and put those and the pump in my garage at home where they cant walk away, then I put the head gear inside the container

17. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

back of my garage on a few furniture dollies. right next to the leaf loader for the fall

18. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

PB blaster makes something like fluid film, I don't remember the name right now, but I will look when i'm back at the shop, to me it worked better then wd-40.

19. sweetk30

20. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Thats it, worked out great.