1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

plow storage - garage or outside?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by ommegang, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

This is my first year plowing. Bought a new 860 SW. Do you guys try to store your plows in a garage or just tarp it outside? I have a separate detached garage for storage. Just considering whether it is worth the effort.

Thanks,

Lance

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Inside - definately. Not only to keep the UV rays from it, but keeps it from getting dirty from rain/mud etc. If you do store it outside, put some blocks of wood under the moldboard and jackstand. Use big enough peices to keep them from sinking into the ground if storing on dirt.

3. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Inside on wood blocks

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Inside of garage if you have room. I keep mine on a cart all year in the garage.

5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I have heard alot of guys don't tarp because it causes moisture to stay, rusts faster. Any truth?

6. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Yes. Two factors make this worse:

1. The tarp completely covers the object to the ground with no ventilation (air circulation)

2. The tarp is touching the object (again goes to air circulation)

So, if you want to tarp something, use a framework of some type to put the tarp on and leave the sides open.

7. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Also think of bee's if storing outside. Yes about the rusting faster

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I just hate that dirty rain...lol:waving:

I leave mine outside all year long.

1. You will do more damage to the paint plowing with it.
    2. Their is no salt falling from the sky.
    3. It will take years for the sun to damage your hoses.
    chances are you will blow a hose before the sun damages them.
    Plus the out side is just for looks the working part of the hose starts at the braiding.

I think plows are built to be outside?
    (but what do I know)

Just wash your plow off give it a shot of FF then set it on some blocks and be done with it. If you have cheep rams or ones that you have nicked with your shovel then cover then with some grease. (any kind will work)( good quality crome will not rust)

You see heavy equipment that has been just sitting outside for years with no rust on the rams... things that make you go Hhuummmm....

The Q. is do you change your fluid in the spring or fall?

ps if you have inside storage why the Q...?

9. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the space inside, put it there! If you leave it outside Put FF on all moving joints & cylinders ect ect....& like Mick said, put blocks of wood under the plow. Also, keep a tarp over it to protect it from the rain & sun. What happens to people when they stay in the sun for 14 hours everyday?...exactly! Its more for the protection of the hoses tho. I put belt conditioner on the hoses too. And with the tarp thing, the plows headlights are already sitting up high enough to act as a "tee pee" style frame for the tarp.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  10. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Mine has never seen the inside of a building since it was put on. I put on a coat of FF and say good bye to it until the fall.

11. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

oil change?

Thanks for the opinions. My inside storage doesn't have a driveway to it so, it would be a problem for the grass, at times. I am going to change the fluid. It looks like the easiest way is to remove the resivor by the four screws and inpect the filters also. Correct? It's not like Blizzard's manual gives directions. Also, same as other plows - flush and drain the rams by removing a line and pushing one side in?

Thanks,

Lance

12. Up North

Up North Senior Member

I contemplated this very question when I first bought my Blizzard back 4 or 5 years ago. I opted for storing it outside, I placed it on two wood pallets. Before lowering it onto the pallets I put the tarp down, then placed the plow onto the tarp. Draped the tarp over the plow just inside of the plow guides and put big rocks on the tarp to hold it down. The ends of the plow are left open so that air can circulate through, and I can mow all around the area so it still looks nice. Like ECS, I do spray all the metal with Fluid Film before covering it up.

Haven't had any problems with doing it this way at all. Heck, if these plows can take the abuse they get in the winter...they should be just fine outside under a little cover. But, certainly nothing wrong with storing it inside either, just nice to have the extra space in the shop for other toys.

Buck

13. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Inside is much better and that's where all my stuff has been kept until tis year when my storage space was reduced. You can still keep your equipment tip top if you spend a few minutes at the end and the begining of each season.

14. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I sent you a PM.

15. 91AK250

91AK250 PlowSite.com Addict

mines been put outside on the ground every summer since new(2001) and ofcourse we dont have the harsh sun and salt from winter to deal with, so its not as hard on'em.

16. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

insides the way to go , by fare

I can tell you that, my old boss, kept his 3 plows outside, and after 4 yrs or so, we were grinding and repainting, and he didnt even spread salt

I spread 10 tons a night, and im on my 5th yr and my plows are still looking good...

I beleive it is from storage inside, because thats about the only difference between us

17. allie11

allie11 Member

What's FF, is it an oil?

18. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

19. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

Stuff is amazing.

20. allie11

allie11 Member

Thaks for that info. Do you spray down the whole plow, cyliders, everything with this stuff?